• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

New Introduction

Started by SimonR, Jan 16, 2017, 21:07:48

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonR

Hello,
This is new member introduction from Daniel (9).
I got a Celestron Astromaster 114EQ Reflector Telescope for Christmas and we have been successful in using it terrestrially and for moon crater viewing.
We are finding it much harder to line up on dimmer planets like Mars and Venus. We followed the Finderscope instructions (below) but it is difficult to know when the head is in the right place and see these dim planets through the scope. We can see the red dot but little else and moving the head changes what the dot is aligned with.
Are there any outdoor sessions we can come along to with the Telescope?
Any other suggestions to get us started?
Thanks – Daniel (& Dad: Simon)

Aligning the Finderscope
The Star Pointer is the quickest and easiest way to point your telescope exactly at a desired object in the sky. It's like having a laser pointer that you can shine directly onto the night sky. The Star Pointer is a zero magnification
pointing tool that uses a coated glass window to superimpose the image of a small red dot onto the night sky. While keeping both eyes open when looking through the Star Pointer, simply move your telescope until the red dot, seen through the Star Pointer, merges with the object as seen with your unaided eye. The red dot is produced by a lightemitting diode (LED); it is not a laser beam and will not damage the glass window or your eye. The star pointer is powered by a long life 3-volt lithium battery (#CR1620) see Figure 3-4. Like all finderscopes, the Star Pointer must be properly aligned with the main telescope before it can be used. The alignment procedure is best done at night since the LED dot will be difficult to see during the day.

Carole

Welcome to the forum Daniel.

To be honest l always found the same problem with a red dot finder but some people love them. We have monthly observing evenings at Otford (see on the main page), where you can bring your scope for advice. Speak to Doug either on here or at the next meeting.

Carole

doug

There is an Observing evening and telesope workshop on January 24th at the Otford Village Memorial Hall (OVMH). May I suggest that you come along with your telescope, and somebody will be able to assist you, if you are having difficulties with something.

Looking forward to meeting you there. Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

CliveC

Hi and welcome to O.A.S. If you would like to bring your gear along to an Observing Evening, I am sure that I will be able to help you out.
All the best,
Clive.

SimonR

Thanks for the welcomes.
We are aiming to come along tomorrow night, 8pm in Otford and will bring the kit.
Being a school night, we might need to leave early!
thanks