• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Rosette Nebula NGC 2244 centre

Started by Fay, Feb 19, 2017, 16:00:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

26x300, Meade 8" Astrodon 5nm ha, TV fr. i needed more but the Rosette went quickly into the SW. i had to delete 4 subs, as not too good.

I should have used the SW120 as there is a lot of interesting things around the centre., quite pleased with the result, but a bit soft and needed a lot more subs.

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Very nice Fay!  You have some lovely detail and a good amount of contrast there.

The leaping puma (upside down) is looking very good.

Mark

Fay

Thanks Mark, I did not know that was the puma!!!! good job I got it!

Fay

Carole

Very nice Fay, you have some very pin point stars there, is this because of the 5nm filter or did you perform some star reduction action?

Carole

RobertM

Could be a tad too much sharpening but it's come out very well Fay.  Nice round stars too - guiding looks to be spot on.

Did you say 'soft', it (the image) doesn't look like it to me.

Robert

JohnP

Fay

thankyou, no star reduction Carole.

Fay

The Thing

Fay, very nice. Nice detailed dark nodules and blobs, you'll be doing the Pillars of Creation next.

Carole

Quotethankyou, no star reduction Carole.
Must be the 5nm Astrodon filter then, Sara uses those and gets really small stars too. But they are so expensive.

Carole

RobertM

Quote from: Carole on Feb 20, 2017, 10:46:29
Must be the 5nm Astrodon filter then, Sara uses those and gets really small stars too. But they are so expensive.

Carole

It's true what you say about the filters but you need good focus first.

julian

MarkS

Quote from: Carole

Sara doesn't live under the Jet Stream.  Unfortunately, we do.  Star size is more dependent on the seeing than on any other factor.  On a good night you'll get tight stars: on a bad night you'll get bloated stars. I'm guessing Fay was imaging the same night I got a half-decent image of Venus.  But 5nm vs 10nm filters will certainly help the nebulosity contrast against the background.

Mark