• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Venus 18 Feb 2017

Started by MarkS, Feb 19, 2017, 09:14:51

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Venus last night. Altair GPCam on Celestron C11 with x2 Barlow. 1500 frames stacked in Autostakkert.  It took me longer than expected to get the Atmospheric Dispersion Corrector set up correctly - as you adjust the levers then the image slides across the field of view.  I need to play around with it a bit further.

I was going to try Jupiter later on but it became far too misty.

Mark

Carole

Very nice Mark.  It looks B&W - is it a B&W camera or the planet lacking any colour?

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
Very nice Mark.  It looks B&W - is it a B&W camera or the planet lacking any colour?

It's a colour camera.  I think Venus should actually be slightly yellowish but I adjusted the colour balance to be more white.

Mark

JohnP

Nice - did the ADC make a lot of difference?

The Thing

Quote from: MarkS on Feb 19, 2017, 09:14:51
Venus last night. Altair GPCam on Celestron C11 with x2 Barlow. 1500 frames stacked in Autostakkert.  It took me longer than expected to get the Atmospheric Dispersion Corrector set up correctly - as you adjust the levers then the image slides across the field of view.  I need to play around with it a bit further.

I was going to try Jupiter later on but it became far too misty.

Mark

Nice image. Never much to see on Venus, so much cloud. Must be a pain waiting for clear skies if you're a Venusian!

I have found you need to adjust the ADC before applying the ROI. I have tried using the autoguiding and just adjusting the ADC very slowly so it can keep up and recenter the planet but you have to have really steady hands or FC will lose the planet. I have also found adjusting the ADC with a red filter on the laptop screen is a challenge as well as you can't see the red indicator. Simple solution though...

I did try Jupiter this morning (alarm at 2:00 :{ ) but the seeing was horrendous. Maybe I'll have a result later.

Duncan

MarkS

Quote from: JohnP
Nice - did the ADC make a lot of difference?

It made a huge difference.  Without the atmospheric dispersion corrector Venus had the usual red fringe on one side and blue fringe on the other.  For one thing, it's much easier to get the focus right when the colours are not all split up.

Mark

RobertM

That's a great result Mark, you must be very pleased.

Unfortunately Venus needs to be a bit higher to clear my Obs. roof so I don't think it'll be on the radar this time.

Robert

The Thing

Quote from: RobertM on Feb 19, 2017, 20:04:43
Unfortunately Venus needs to be a bit higher to clear my Obs. roof so I don't think it'll be on the radar this time.
That's what saws are for! Or you need a drop down section such as I've put in mine.

Fay

Thats a very good Venus Mark. nice with that C11

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

The Thing

Fay, you should have a go at planets with that Meade 8" you've got gathering dust. Go on, you know you want to.