Author Topic: Where is every-one?  (Read 261 times)

Carole

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
    • Carole's images
Where is every-one?
« on: Feb 05, 2017, 15:02:57 »
The forum has become decidedly quiet of late.  Has every-one gone into hibernation?

Carole

The Thing

• Mr October
  • O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Class
  • The OAS International Branch
Re: Where is every-one?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2017, 16:44:32 »
Not hibernating but swimming around here in Normandy with plenty of rain.

Actually I've been rebuilding my NEQ6 with ceramic worm bearings and a replacement motor board. Fitting an industrial USB3 hub to my ADM dovetail clamp. Rewired the observatory with spike protection - less mains cable tangle now. Setting up a touchscreen PC in the observatory (so much software to install!). I have been using your old SW150P a lot on my HEQ5 mount while the big one was out of action. That had to be rebuilt - the spider wasn't in the right orientation so it was really hard to collimate! Also the focuser was rebuilt and the main mirror cleaned. Nice scope now. I have de-mounted that and now want to overhaul the HEQ5 (my portable mount). Then remembering how to fit out my SCT now it's back on the big mount. Also choosing and buying a new newt from Teleskop Service (being made now) has been tortuous - how do you decide! That will be on the NEQ6 when it arrives in a couple of weeks. Learning PixInsight is using up a lot of time. Plus everything else I need to do around here. Time just seems to disappear.

I do lurk on the forum quite a bit in between times as well :)
Life is like a box of chocolates, scoff it while it's in front of you.

Carole

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
    • Carole's images
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2017, 18:37:55 »
Wow, you've been busy Duncan.  I would not know how to tell if the spider was in the wrong orientation, I found it quite easy to collimate but with a CCD camera the focusser went inwards too far and there was a bite out of the stars.  Probably fine with a DSLR.

I have finally managed to install EOS Utility for the replacement Canon 1100D - it needed a different version to the one I had and managed to download a copy and it now works on the Desktop and both laptops.  I also managed to creep into the observatory today as I am slowly getting mobile, so I think I will give the DSLR a try out next clear night if I can get the obsy rigged during the day.  It's not too easy getting in and out of the POD as my right leg still needs more rehabilitation, so I need to be careful.  Also I can't manage stairs yet without holding on, so might need some help getting my scopes from upstairs into the obsy. 

Carole

MarkS

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2017, 18:59:01 »
Yes, it is very quiet on the forum.

Duncan sounds like he has plenty on his plate! 

As for me, I'm preparing my presentation on planetary imaging for AAS at the end of the month (Fri 24 Feb).  Also I'm continually playing around with my processing sequences.  I've modified the PixInsight Batch Pre-Processing script so I just have to chuck all my files into it and it delivers a 2x Bayer Drizzled image at the end from my hundreds of subs. Also playing around with a new type of colour calibration that will deliver much more accurate colours and natural colour saturation than any processing sequence I know of used at the current time.  Slowly working through Warren Keller's book on PixInsight and the "Lessons from the Masters" book. Lots to learn from them though I disagree with quite a lot such as Warren's statement, "the law of diminishing returns sets in after 30 subs"!!  Actually with my 30sec subs there is a HUGE difference between 30 subs (i.e. 15 minutes) and 480 subs (4 hours).  Anyway, once I'm completely happy, I can finally clear my processing backlog - it's been a good Winter for acquisition so far.

Plus spending far too much time posting on Cloudy Nights, SGL and DPReview on diverse subjects including microlens diffraction patterns on the ASI1600MM and the detection of manufacturer raw file cooking which might affect estimates of sensor QE.

Mark
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2017, 06:32:38 by MarkS »

Mac

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Class
    • smile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2017, 06:43:16 »
Im just working all the time at the moment, which is quite a godsend,
 not had any time to do anything else really.

I've now got a house full of kids (3 more plus their dad),
Which sometimes can be a challenge especially with the other 7 year old  as she doesn't understand the word NO and thinks
that by shouting at me i will change my mind, Shes learning, slowly.  :twisted:

My list of projects is growing with no time to start any of them,  :(

I keep forgetting what that large green building is at the end of the garden is.

Mac.
(soon to be bald!!!!!!!!)
Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
If you argue with an idiot, there are two idiots.