Author Topic: Driving after 70  (Read 233 times)

Carole

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
    • Carole's images
Driving after 70
« on: Jan 31, 2017, 12:06:55 »
I don't know if you know but driving licences have to be renewed when you reach 70. 

What I didn't know was that if the vehicle is over 3.5 tons (but under 7.5 tons) whilst the normal car driving licence is fine for this you are not covered over 70 and have to apply separately (including a medical). 

Well as I am coming up to this certain age in April I received my renewal form from the DVLA and thought I had better ascertain the weight of my van.  Could I find the the weight anywhere?  Not in the log book, not in the manual and not on any plates on the van, and googling brought only payload data.

After an exhaustive search I decided to ring the DVLA for advice and managed to ascertain that the van is 3 tons, but as I mentioned I was using it as a campervan I now have to send them photos of the fitted changes.  Plus the previous owners had not notified these changes or the fact that there are only 2 seats and not 3 as in the log book. 

No point in stuffing up the vehicle insurance by not being above board on the facts. 

What a palaver.

Carole

MarkH

• O. A. S.
  • Star Class
Re: Driving after 70
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2017, 07:01:32 »
There should be a plate riveted in one of the foot wells containing all your vehicle details Carole.

Carole

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
    • Carole's images
Re: Driving after 70
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2017, 12:30:53 »
Thanks Mark, I will take a look just for curiosity now since the DVLA has confirmed the weight.#

Carole