• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

An excellent meeting at the new venue

Started by MarkS, Jan 25, 2017, 23:44:38

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

It was an excellent meeting tonight.  The new venue seems pretty good to me - lots of space.  Plenty of room to drink a cup of tea.

Chris North's talk on the Herschel space telescope was fascinating, informative and very well presented.

Mark

Klitos

I'm glad it went well, and sad that I couldn't make it tonight because of the persistent disruption on Southeastern trains. I look forward to next month's meeting.

Fay

I must apologise for not being there. i had it on my calendar for wednesday, but still thought it was tonight!!!!!!!

permanent glasses are

needed now!!!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rick

"OAS Thursday" is pretty well embedded in my brain; I woke up thinking today was Friday...

...but yes, it was an excellent talk.

Carole

Great evening and interesting presentation, and I agree the new venue is ideal. 

Quotei had it on my calendar for wednesday, but still thought it was tonight!!!!!!!

permanent glasses are needed now!!!
:lol: :lol:

Carole

Sue

Yes, we thought it was excellent evening in all respects.It was good to see you there Carole, so pleased that your leg on the mend.

Carole

doug

A very good evening; the venue is excellent. Plenty of room for everybody and a decent kitchen for the cuppa`s as well. Very interesting talk. Must say that Ivor`s "temporary" screen worked very well; when that is totally sorted it`s gonna be good.....

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Rick

The screen was at a good height, but just a bit too far away. I was in the third row, and I wouldn't want to be any much further back from it, so I hope the front row will be a bit closer to the screen next time.

Rick

Doug's report is now on the main website.

doug

Always look on the bright side of life ...

Hugh

Thanks for your support and comments everyone. 

I thought it went very well considering that this was the first time we had all been in the hall.  We did note your comments on the night Rick re distance from the screen and we spoke about it after the meeting.  Your suggestion of closer seating, perhaps in a varying length row, amphitheatre style may be the answer?  A little trial and error and we will get it right as we adjust to the larger hall size. 

The roll-up screen seemed to work OK but the Committee will look to a more practical answer ASAP in order to improve everyone's enjoyment.  Storage needs to be clarified, again soonest.

Sue had the suggestion of perhaps a 'tea table' just outside the kitchen which will then do away with the crowding in the kitchen which we had.  This was partly because whilst Ivor and I had our names down to do the tea, several members stepped in to assist whilst we had other things to settle.  Much obliged for that ~ a great help!  It will also relieve any H&S danger going to and fro the hot water urn; one of the reasons we left BEECHE.

Of the night, it was a good turnout and the talk excellent.  The number of galaxies exposed by the Lockman Hole scan were staggering! Certainly a pic for my 'Space is BIG!' talk.

Observing Members Pictures great as usual ~ all those stars!  Perhaps you members that take the time to provide these pictures for us other members are not thanked enough.  I'm not into astrophotography but PLEASE keep those coming ~ such a pleasure to look at them.  But please more onto the Forum Gallery?  Perhaps not the best location for them? Is this too old fashioned? 

Best

Hugh