• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Windows 7 updates keep failing

Started by Carole, Jan 09, 2017, 09:42:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Whilst I have been incapacitated I have been using one of my imaging laptops as my regular internet computer.

It has about 78 updates that need installing, most of which are important, but despite it trying to update and the latop being on all day, the updates keep failing, occasionally an odd one gets updated.

I have tried updating just a few at a time but that is no more successful.
Most are to do with security, or windows 7 updates plus a few microsoft.Net FRAMEWORK updates.

Any ideas?

Carole

The Thing

I am pretty sure that MS no longer serves up Win7 updates. At least my old Win7 Laptop does the exactly what you describe when it tries. You are not alone! I would like to turn off the update check entirely on that machine...

Carole

It says MS is no longer supporting Vista, but I thought W7 was still being supported.  It's strange that some updates are getting through in that case.

Carole

Carole

Found this on the internet:

Microsoft doesn't plan to stop fixing security problems in Windows 7 until extended support ends. That's January 14, 2020--five years and a day from the end of mainstream support.

Also:
On January 13, 2015, Microsoft will stop mainstream support for Windows 7--which is still an extremely popular operating system. But you'll still be able to use it safely for another five years.

So presume this should mean OK for installing updates.

Carole

Mac

some will fail because they require previous updates to be installed,
The easist way is to just to keep  rebooting windows 7 and let it install its updats that way.

Some times it will take ages

If its the same on that keeps failing just delete the update and let it redownoad.

Mac.

Carole

OK, very tedious though.
Thanks

Carole