Author Topic: Message from Carole  (Read 1060 times)

MarkS

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
Re: Message from Carole
« Reply #30 on: Dec 19, 2016, 21:32:32 »
Thanks for the update Carole.  I hope things carry on improving.  Do your best to enjoy Christmas!

Mark

Mike

• Observing Consultant
  • O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
    • Electronicle
« Reply #31 on: Dec 20, 2016, 08:09:06 »
Hope you're claiming from the dog owners insurance for all of this.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
    • Carole's images
« Reply #32 on: Dec 20, 2016, 08:55:08 »
Thanks Mark.

Hope you're claiming from the dog owners insurance for all of this.
I just don't feel the inclination unless they have pet insurance which I have yet to find out, it wasn't being malicious it was just an accident, and the owners weren't even present it was being walked by her father. and when they found out they came and helped me get out of the park with my dog and were extremely helpful and stayed with me and did all sorts of things to help until the ambulance arrived. 

Was quite awkward as the father walking the dog was Polish, he tried to help me get to my feet but I obviously couldn't, then I started to talk to him and he said he didn't speak English, "I Get help" he said.  10 minutes later he came back with 3 other people (it was dark by then and there I was sitting in the park in the dark).  While I was waiting I got two other ladies to catch my dog who was still running around oblivious to her owner's plight.  The Polish group all helped me hop across the park, sometimes carrying me, sometimes me hopping (supported by them) and got me into their car with the dog.  Took me home, got me in the house, fed the dog, charged up my phone for me, packed it in my handbag so I could take it to the hospital, kept the dog out of the way of the ambulance people.  They could not have been more helpful.  Left me their phone number for me to let them know how I got on. 

I guess I could have called an ambulance in the park (not that I had my phone with me as it was nearly flat), but I could have sat in the dark for an hour and a half (which is the time it took for the ambulance to come) in the cold, and what would I have done with the dog?  At least this way, it got me home in the warm, got the dog home safe and I was able to telephone my daughter who was out with hubby.

Carole
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2016, 09:18:09 by Carole »

JohnP

• Non-OAS
  • Cluster Class
    • JP Astro Images
« Reply #33 on: Dec 22, 2016, 10:24:36 »
Went to the Fracture clinic today, by DIY adapted wheelchair (for sticking out leg) - saw the Xrays before and after.   Pretty shocked at the size of screws they put in and how many there are, some come out the opposite side.  ....

Did you get any photo's?

Sounds very painful.... you've been through the wars what with your shoulder a few years back & now this.... :-(

Get well soon,  John

Carole

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
    • Carole's images
« Reply #34 on: Dec 22, 2016, 13:16:07 »
Thanks John,

e been through the wars what with your shoulder a few years back & now this.... :-(

Yes, I think I must have an aura surrounding me which says "TARGET!!"

Did you get any photo's?

Do you mean of the incident, or of the Xrays?

No photos of the accident as I didn't have my phone with me, it was nearly flat so didn't bother to take it.

I am trying to get copies of the Xrays, but Radiology is just not answering the telephone today.  Will keep trying.

Carole

JohnP

• Non-OAS
  • Cluster Class
    • JP Astro Images
« Reply #35 on: Dec 22, 2016, 13:41:53 »
Yep I meant xrays so we can see how bionic you are... :P

Carole

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
    • Carole's images
« Reply #36 on: Dec 22, 2016, 21:59:57 »
Managed to get through to Radiology this afternoon.  I can get some copies but there is a procedure to go through with forms and ID and signing which I have to hand in on 9th January when I next go to Fracture clinic, so looks like I won't be able to get them for a while yet. 

Meanwhile this internet Xray  is sort of similar. 

Found this diagram on the internet which shows roughly how the fracture was.  The conical bit that broke off had slipped tearing and taking the cartilage downwards with it.  Without the surgery I would almost definitely have got arthritis later on, by having the surgery it reduces the arthritis risk to 25%.

Carole
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2016, 11:41:38 by Carole »

Carole

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
    • Carole's images
« Reply #37 on: Jan 09, 2017, 22:38:25 »
Went to my six week follow up today in the fracture clinic.  Everything seems to be progressing well, and I can now start to put some weight on the injured leg, i.e. I need to lean on the zimmer frame so only putting half my weight on it for the next couple of weeks, then physio.  I think it's going to be a long job.  I am organising getting a right angled polarscope adapter as I can't see me being able to kneel on that knee for the foreseeable future. 

Ordered Xrays today, so should be able to post them up once they arrive.

Carole

Fay

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
    • Faysastroimages
« Reply #38 on: Jan 10, 2017, 18:53:20 »
glad you are at least progressing correctly, carole
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
    • Carole's images
« Reply #39 on: Jan 10, 2017, 20:31:49 »
Thanks Fay

Carole

MarkS

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
« Reply #40 on: Jan 10, 2017, 21:07:29 »
I'm glad things are progressing well.

Chin up!

Mark

Carole

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
    • Carole's images
« Reply #41 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:35:25 »
Thanks Mark

Carole

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
    • Carole's images
GOT the REAL XRAYS
« Reply #42 on: Jan 11, 2017, 19:29:32 »
As requested by John, I finally managed to get the actual Xrays.

This is post-op image:

and for those of you interested, this is an Xray taken mid-surgery while I guess they were checking they had lined up the pieces before fixing the plate in place.  To think they offered me an epidural to have this done!!  Jolly glad I didn't as I knew from my nursing days that Orthopaedic surgery is like a carpentry shop, and for those squeamish I won't mention what they had to do to get at the area for putting the plate in.  Apparently I was gone for 5 hours, so glad I chose a General anaesthetic.

« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2017, 19:44:02 by Carole »

JohnP

• Non-OAS
  • Cluster Class
    • JP Astro Images
« Reply #43 on: Jan 11, 2017, 20:12:04 »
So do plate and screws stay in or do they get removed. That looks like serious surgery. General was defo the way to go couldn't even start to imagine going through something like that whilst conscious. Good news on the recovery and thks for sharing. Never ever broken a bone myself so cant imagine the pain.... :-(  Take care, John.

Carole

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
    • Carole's images
« Reply #44 on: Jan 11, 2017, 20:55:22 »
So do plate and screws stay in or do they get removed.
They said they would leave the pins and plate in as it only requires another operation to take it all out.

Carole