• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DSC 25 - 27th November

Started by Carole, Nov 19, 2016, 08:50:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Currently the weather forecast is not good for the weekend, and if the weather changes Julian and I at least will be going to Kelling, so not sure how many people would want to go to Cairds.  Additionally there seems to be a lot of rain forecast over the next couple of days so not sure how the ground would be anyway. 

Can you indicate if you would like to go to DSC if the weather forecast improves and the ground is suitable at Cairds.

Carole

Ivor

I'm starting to think you just need to copy and paste the first sentence every time, the last time I got a telescope out was at Kelling. I've seen an article of converting a old Sky dish to a radio telescope and I'm wondering if this is the answer to combating the clouds.

Carole

It's quite depressing, put that together with LP and trees at home, I feel it is like knocking our heads against a brick wall.

Carole

Mike

It is not possible to get a forecast even close to accurate further than 3 days away so I would wait closer to the time if I were you. 
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
It's quite depressing, put that together with LP and trees at home, I feel it is like knocking our heads against a brick wall.

Yes, it looks like another Winter of solid cloud until Christmas followed by solid cloud until Easter :(

Mark

Fay

This is why I forget to look outside now......always duff weather

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Forecast for Friday night is clear, I can't believe it.  Saturday not clear though. 

Is it too late for any-one to want to go tomorrow?

Carole

Fay

you off to Kelling tomorrow Carole?

Carole

I don't think I am going to go all that way for just Friday night being clear Fay, I am not booked for Kelling. 

So if I go at all it will be to DSC but don't want to go on my own this time.  Would you be interested?

Carole

Ivor

I can't I'm afraid I'm out early on Saturday.

Fay

It says saturday clear too.....at the moment

Too cold and windy I am thinking, wont be able to go Carole. is Julian still going to Kelling?

Carole

I think Julian is booked and paid for kelling.

Carole

Carole

I don't believe it.  I found out there are others camping at cairds,  so tore around and packed up this morning to go down there.  Set off and the van battery light is staying on, but it started ok.  Not wanting to end up stranded I am now sitting in the garage hoping the mechanic can sort it quickly.  Need to get there well before it gets dark.  Watch this space.  Carole

Fay

What, public are there??

I am setup in the garden, the wind may be a problem

Will be having a big word with John when he comes in, I have requested for months, he take 2ft off one of the trees, to no avail. I will ask once more before I get the axe out!!!!!!!

Carole

Home again!!!!   Grumble grumble after tearing around like a blue arsed fly this morning to get packed and down there in good time before it gets dark (normally I spread the packing over a couple of days).

They think it's the alternator as I suspected (had experience of this before many years ago), so didn't want to run the battery down on a long journey and then can't start the van up when I want to come home.  The mechanic said it wasn't advisable either.  So van booked in for Wednesday/Thursday.  I suppose van-wise I can't grumble as it's the first thing I have had go wrong since I had it.  Just annoying after doing all the packing, and I now have to unpack it all.  Not sure if I feel like re-rigging the observatory after de-rigging it earlier. 

QuoteWhat, public are there??
I was going to book the Glamping POD for a bit of comfort, particularly as I still have bursitis, and Pete Text me back (from Malta!!!) to say there were people staying in it tonight and tomorrow.  So I thought at least I would have some company, didn't want to be entirely on my own.

Disappointed.....................................

:cry: