• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Amateur Radio Astronomy

Started by Sue, Aug 25, 2002, 06:23:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Sue

I have been trying to find a speaker on radio astronomy, due to interest from several of you, for a while and hope I have now succeeded. James Wilhelm sent me the information below, the UKARANet web site is: http://www.ukaranet.org.uk ,if you would like to have a look.

"UKARANet started as an idea between several people and I offered to run the website for it. Most of the work so far has been done by myself, Phil and Ken Tapping (an English radio astronomer now working in Canada). There are some useful contributions from other people, most notably John Smith (now deceased) whose papers are available on the site.

The first question we always get is how to get started. We would like UKARANet to serve as a contact point and, importantly, a source of info for people who want to get started in radio astronomy.

PS: We would welcome any input on the website - it won't serve much purpose if people don't find it useful."

Ian

had a quick look. Certainly looks interesting, I'll have a closer look tomorrow.

I'd definitely like to know more about amateur radio astronomy :grin:

Whitters

Sue

Glad contact is of interest. Another message from James:

"If anyone in your society has some form of radio astronomy project going, we would be more than happy to feature it on UKARANet. Please feel free to invite people to contact us it they would like to contribute. Some people have an inferiority complex about their projects - we really welcome simple projects as these point the way for other people to get started. A practical project that someone got running is much more valuable than an opinion in a book."

Rick

I'll add that link to our website.