• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Observing evenings at Otford.

Started by doug, Oct 26, 2016, 10:25:28

Previous topic - Next topic

doug

From the 22nd November, the Observing evenings will be held at the Otford Village Memorial Hall, starting at 20.00hrs. This will mean that in the case of inclement weather we can be in the hall for telescope workshops and discussion about anything, such as imaging for those who like to use that side of astronomy. You can also have a nice "cuppa" should you fancy that, as there is a good kitchen there.

Outside the hall, there is a patio area where scopes can be set up if needed, or the field outside is but a short walk; this is the park with the Solar System model in it.  We hope to encourage new members to this function, as the sky at Otford is big with lowish horizons and is quite dark.

I will be showing this Hall and a map of the area at the next meeting in my Obs Offrs report, so please come along to the inaugural meeting at Otford. This is an excellent opportunity to get some new members, to come and see what the Society is all about and to view the night sky.

Regards, Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Rick

Looks like a good place. Did you mean 22nd November? (The website says 29th, so I've updated the location on that event.)

Carole

Great idea to use this site Doug, well done.  Not that I do much observing these days, but if we can attract more new members from the area it can only be good.

Carole

doug

Thanks, Carole. I hope that you and some of the imagers will come along to hopefully demonstrate the capabilities of imaging and what can be achieved. This all helps to encourage new members and I have already had one request for help with astrophotography, who I hope will be there on our first proper meeting in the hall.

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

Imaging is really too complex to bring the stuff along just for demonstration doug, it can take around 1 hour + to set it all up. 

Could do a talk on imaging for any-one interested, I already have one prepared, but need to make sure I am available before promising anyone.  Takes around 40 minutes.  Will need a reasonable size TV with a VGA cable to do this, probably could manage without a projector if the numbers are not too many.

Carole

Sue

Great news Doug. I think it is a good step forward. Of course many people start imaging the sky with their general cameras on a tripod or indeed their phones through a telescope, which I guess you were thinking of Doug in the first instance.I hope these meetings  will attract people with a whole range of interests from simple observing through to experienced imagers.

Ivor

Personally I'm looking forward to the change, I've a number of pieces of kit I could do we some advise on and I feel more comfortable doing this in a venue like this. I also feel there isn't enough time to chat to your fellow members at the Thursday meeting as it is crammed packed, this new setup will give us a better chance to do this.

We've decided to trial this for a 6 month period, if it proves popular enough we will continue in the hall these are the updated dates, Tuesday 22 Nov, Tuesday 13 Dec, Tuesday 24 Jan 2017, Tuesday 28 Feb, Tuesday 28 March and Tuesday 25 April.

Rick

Quote from: Ivor on Oct 27, 2016, 07:38:25We've decided to trial this for a 6 month period, if it proves popular enough we will continue in the hall these are the updated dates, Tuesday 22 Nov, Tuesday 13 Dec, Tuesday 24 Jan 2017, Tuesday 28 Feb, Tuesday 28 March and Tuesday 25 April.

Website updated (I hope) appropriately. Please check...