• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DSC 28 - 30th October

Started by Carole, Oct 18, 2016, 15:39:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Who's up for it?

Mark has already told me he plans to be there and I shall be coming too.  So all depends on the weather.

Carole

Mike

I'm a 'maybe' at the moment. It depends if something I'm working on comes to fruition or not.

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

ApophisAstros

Hope to be there if i can make suitable arrangements,
  Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

So far:

Mark
Carole
Mike & Petra (Maybe)
Roger (if he can make arrangements)

julian

Carole

Mark
Carole
Julian
Mike & Petra (Maybe)
Roger (if he can make arrangements)

Any-one else?

Fay

I doubt I will be going. I have a private hospital appointment on the saturday, that I had to take as I have waited 4 weeks for it and no more available for a few weeks after. thought I would get one straight away. its for my foot.

I must admit to losing my  mojo", as Mark says, the nights as so few and far between I have got out of the habit of looking t the weather.

I know I have to get myself in gear as have a lot of equipment to get used.  hope to get myself out back very soon. i have not missed any decent nights yet...but got to get into my stride

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

OK Fay, what's wrong with your foot?

So this leaves the glamping POD available for any-one else who would like to go but doesn't want to camp. 

Carole

Fay

I have had trouble for months, not getting any better. its under my heel, I think to to with tendons. can hardly walk 75% of time. if I do exercises its so much worse. painful most days
i still have private with my ex firm, but thought I would get an easy appointment, he is obviously in demand!

Sue

Good luck with the op Fay.

I have just enquired about the pod for me and Roy however think may be already booked as is the B&B (birthday celebrations) though camping is available as usual.They are going to ring us back later. We are not sure if we are up to the rigours of the tent this time so soon after Kelling.

Fay

thanks Sue, I am not having an op!!!!! Just want to know what is going on

Fay

Sue

So sorry Fay, I read the posts in a hurry! Do hope the appointment tomorrow leads to treatment that will sort out the problem. Miserable to be in pain. If you do want the pod -though they have not rung back so presume it may not be available- you must have first refusal, I did not mean to muscle in! Hope to see you soon, Sue.

Carole

We are getting a bunch of old crocks. 

When I was at kelling I found sleeping on the "shelf" really uncomfortable, and so I moved onto the floor, and although slightly better, wasn't great either.  I put it down to using a thinner mattress than usual.  However since being home I have had awful pain in my left hip and am living on Non steroidals at the moment.  Really painful to bend down, so went to the Docs.  He says I have Trochanteric Bursitis.  i.e. Bursitis in the hip and he asked me if I was uncomfortable lying in bed.  I am not uncomfortable at home because we have a Memory foam mattress, but "funny you should ask" I said, and explained how uncomfortable I had been sleeping in the Van.  Must make extra precautions next time. i.e. take the thicker mattress.

Carole

doug

..... or get a small tent with a decent bed and sleeping bags, etc. Thick mattress as you said..... in a tent .... or a different camper van......
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

QuoteThick mattress as you said..... in a tent ....
Gave up camping because it was too much work all that packing and pitching and unpitching and packing and then unpacking when I get home, which is why I bought a van.

Quoteor a different camper van......
Not made of money Doug, it will be fine if I use a better mattress.

Carole

doug

It was a jest, Carole. No offence intended.

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

Sorry been out of touch the last few days as my mum died on Thursday, horrible few days and lots to do, but getting on top of it now. 

Weather is not looking great at the moment for the weekend on the long range forecast.  However Wednesday and Thursday are currently forecast clear all night for Ticehurst.  If I can get the packing done in time I might go for those two nights. 

Any of you retired people fancy coming too, the POD might be available mid-week? Not the same as a DSC of course, but its such rubbish imaging from Bromley I must get to some dark sites during the winter period.

If I go I am not sure if I can get on the forum from Cairds, so might have to ring one of you for an update on weather forecast and who is coming, any-one mind if I take their phone number? 

Anyway, see what replies and weather forecast comes up in next 36 hours.

Carole

Fay

Sue dont worry. I dont own the POD, ha ha ha when I said I want to know whats going on, I meant with my foot, not the POD!!!!!   LOL

sorry about your mum Carole, always something happening.

I had that bursitus just as I was going dog sledding in the Yukon. I had a huge injection, by an arm doctor, he was not sure if it would work or not. Lucky it did as I would never have handled all those dogs!!!!!!!!

Carole

Apart from the pain my biggest problem with the hip at the moment is bending down as it is really painful even after taking the tablets.

Carole

Sue

So sorry to hear about your Mum Carole.

We were considering trying the pod for a couple of days, probably in the week when the weather turned promising, so will look closely at the forecasts over the next couple of days and let you know Carole.

We were thinking Fay, first we try and pinch your favourite caravan, now the Pod, will you still be speaking to us.... LOL!!!

ApophisAstros

My sister was going to look after my dad for weekend but her husband has become poorly  , maybe a stroke. Obviously she doesn't want to leave him at this time , so i wont be able to come to DSC .
Although i still plan to come to meeting on 27th , hope to see you  all then.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

MarkS

I'll be watching the cloud forecast before making my final decision.  Not looking hopeful at the moment :(

Mark

The Thing

Quote from: MarkS on Oct 26, 2016, 08:11:44
I'll be watching the cloud forecast before making my final decision.  Not looking hopeful at the moment :(

Mark

The weekend over here is looking rather promising😉😀for a change.

Carole

Friday after midnight (maybe 1am) is looking OK, but Saturday looks like cloud.

Who is still going?

Carole

Sue

Sorry not this weekend.

Sue and Roy

julian

Just checked the weather not looking good.
I will be carrying on with the rebuild of my dob at home.
I have booked Kelling for 4 days next month so can't make DSC if there is one.

Julian

MarkS

I'm coming to the meeting tonight because I won't be packing :(

Mark

Carole

I'll let Pete know.

So from what I can see we haven't had a single DSC in 2016.  Last one was late 2015. Or have I forgotten one?

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
I'll let Pete know.

So from what I can see we haven't had a single DSC in 2016.  Last one was late 2015. Or have I forgotten one?

That's right - not a single DSC so far in 2016.  There were 2 Kelling Heath expeditions though.

Mark

Carole

Plus I went to SGLX in March.

Carole

Mike

Quote from: Carole on Oct 27, 2016, 23:45:06
So from what I can see we haven't had a single DSC in 2016.  Last one was late 2015.

Sad.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

QuoteI have booked Kelling for 4 days next month so can't make DSC if there is one.
I am planning to go (as discussed) if the weather is OK, but have not booked in advance after last year which was awful due to Storm Abigail.  At least this event doesn't get booked out, so can leave it until the last minute.

Carole