• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

POD leak - have I found the cause?

Started by Carole, Apr 20, 2016, 13:23:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

After owning my POD for 5 years I suddenly noticed that the gasket is lifted along the rim of the secondary dome which is where all the rain collects after a downpour.  It is also slightly lifted further along the gasket but this is the worst spot.  I don't know why I have not noticed this before.  I am hoping this is the cause of my leak, which I have managed for a long time by putting a bucket underneath, but this does fill quite a bit and I sometimes worry what would happen if I was on holiday and it rained a lot.

Anyway, I bought a tube of sealant (supposed to seal fish tanks, so hope it will be right for the job), and today i cleaned out the crud under the gasket and gave it a good dose of sealant, both under and along the edge of the gasket, and also went over the first screw where the gasket was slightly torn.

Only time will tell, but it would be great if I have found the cause of the problem.

Carole

Well so far so good, not a single leak.  It has not rained much, but I would have got a leak normally.

Carole

doug

Always look on the bright side of life ...

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

I don't need to be linked to an idiots guide on how to post a photo Mike, goodness knows I have done enough over the last 10 years. 

I don't know what has happened to the photo it was there last time I looked, it was linked from my google photos, so maybe something has gone wrong in there.  I'll take a look when I get home.

Carole

Carole

Well i have not done anything as i have been at work and then at oas meeting.  I am now looking at this thread on my smart phone and the photo is there.  Sometimes i can't pick up photos at work anyway.  So no idea why the photo wasn't showing earlier. 

Mike

It's visible to you only. If you log out of your Google account and try again it will be invisible.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Carole

Well it's not showing for me now.  Goodness knows why it's coming and going, so have linked from elsewhere - Astrobin which seems more reliable.  Anyway, I have sealed this now and so far so good.

Carole

Quotet's visible to you only. If you log out of your Google account and try again it will be invisible
Well that's completely daft, why would anyone want to post something on the internet and not let anyone else see it. 

I'll use Flicker in future.

Carole

Carole

Well 6 months down the line and I've had hardly any leak at all since sealing the gasket.  I still put the bucket in place - just in case and hardly ever had anything in it.

Previously I'd get half to a full bucket of water in a rain storm, so had to go and check regularly.

Carole