• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

My Astro Photos

Started by RachelC, Oct 11, 2016, 21:19:44

Previous topic - Next topic

RachelC

Hi everyone
I was hoping for a bit of advice please.
There is a lady who works in the sandwich shop near my work and her daughter loves astronomy (especially Orion).
Anyway we talk often and I always show her my photos.
She has asked if I would print some of my images on A4 paper for her daughter's birthday so she can put them on her ceiling (top bunk bed) as a surprise.

But she also wants to pay me for this.

I was just wondering, am I allowed to charge? And what would I charge?
I don't want to get into detail about protecting my photos but do I need to?
Any help would be great.
Many thanks

Carole

Lucky you, I have been imaging since 2008 and only once been asked if I would sell a photo but since the buyer lived in the USA I decided to let them have it for nothing since it was too complicated, and they only wanted it for the house, so not as if they were exploiting my images or anything.

Of course you can charge if they are your images.  It might be wise to protect your images somehow.  If you join Astrobin (an image hosting website) you can watermark your images in the middle or in the corner and to varying degrees of visibility.  Astrobin used to be free, but I think you can still do up to 12 images a year FOC.

As for price, how long is a piece of string?  Maybe ask her what she would be prepared to pay and take it from there.

Carole

The Thing

At least cover your costs, especially if you use photo paper.

RachelC

Thank you both for the advice. I will check out Astrobin and once I print out the pics I will see what she is willing and able to pay.
Thanks again :-)

Ivor

I'm pretty certain when NiK Szymanek did a presentation he said he used SnapMad to do all his print. My attempts has always been a disappointment at home getting the contrast right.

Carole

Yes I never find images that look good on the computer print very well.  Look at the OAS calendar, the images always come out darker than the computerised version. 

Carole