• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Dead DSLR

Started by Carole, Oct 07, 2016, 08:16:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

As briefly mentioned in another thread, my DSLR would not switch on at Kelling, I tried both charged batteries and also my cabled "battery", and Roy tried it too, also with no success.

I am not going to go to great lengths or expense to repair it as I don't often use it these days, but on occasions it is handy to use, i.e. Lunar eclipse, star trails, comets, transit of Mercury, milky way - where I have yet to get a decent image, so if it is a simple fix I would like to give it a bash.

I read that the little mechanism that tells the camera that the battery flap is shut might be worth looking at to see if it is "going in" properly, but just wondered if any-one had any other ideas.

Carole

MarkS

There's a microswitch on both the battery flap and memory card flap.
Mark

Carole

Thanks Mark will take a look at both of those.

Carole

Carole

Well I have tried both of those micro switches and still no signs of life.  I am going to charge up the battery again, though it was done at Kelling and not used, but a fresh charge to eliminate that plus the micro switches.

After that I think I will try to sell it for spare parts if I can.  I might wait and see if any-one is selling an old one at a cheap price, but I won't be making any bigger efforts to rescue it.  Shame as it was working just fine last time I used it.

Carole

Roy

Hi Carole,

I have just discovered there is another battery (looks like a hearing aid type) that is located inside the main battery compartment that is used to maintain the date and time, see below.

http://www.justanswer.com/video-camera-repair/5y6q1-canon-400d-dead-will-not-power-on-battery.html

Good luck

Roy

Carole

I also found that link Roy, thanks for pointing it out though, but I cannot see anything to pull out as shown in the link.  It does make sense that the date may have expired though, but don't know where on earth it can be.

All the years I have had this camera I kept the hand book in the bag, and now when I really need it it is not there.  No idea where I must have put it, will have to go and have a hunt in the van.

Carole

Carole

On further googling I found this:

QuoteIn prior models the battery for the time/date/memory was a replaceable CR2016 button battery. With the 450D the time/date/memory battery is internal and not user replaceable. It's not possible to remove it to do a complete "reset".

Bummer

MarkS

Don't sell it for spares - I can have a look at for you some time.

Mark

Carole

That's very good of you Mark.

As I say I don't use it very often, but on occasion it is useful.

Carole

MarkS

It's now in bits on my work table.

The on/off switch works.
The battery flap switch works.
The memory card flap switch works.
I haven't found the internal battery (yet) but apparently its failure does not stop the camera switching on.  It just means that the time/date gets lost every time you change the main battery.

So whatever is wrong, it looks like it is beyond my capability to repair :(

Mark

Mike

If the CR2016 is on the main board it should be easy to replace.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

It's not a CR2016 and there's nothing on either main board that looks like a battery.

Internet search has drawn a blank so far, in trying to locate whatever it is inside the camera.

Mark

Carole

Many thanks for trying Mark, so is this final now, irreparable?

I'll have the bag and contents back please, as there are some components (including the batteries) that are re-usable, Stock Lens, CLS filter, remote controller, SD card, T rings etc and the bag itself.

Will you be at the next meeting Mark?  Otherwise could some-one bring it back for me on 3rd December as I can't attend.

CArole

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
Many thanks for trying Mark, so is this final now, irreparable?

Probably.  In any case I'll put it back together and bring it to the next meeting.

Mark

Carole

Thank you Mark.

Carole