• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

At kelling

Started by Carole, Sep 29, 2016, 10:34:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Arrived yesterday,  Sue snd Roy also here. The predicted two hours of clear sky did not happen and instead we were treated to very high winds all night.  Sue estimated 30 - 40 mph.  I was expecting to see my kit blown over this morning but it survived ok.  Then followed by heavy rain early morning.  The wind has died down now with just a breese.  Fingers crossed for better conditions towards the weekend.        Carole

Carole

Wow,  lots of blue sky. 

doug

See you all Saturday morning ...

Doug and Rose.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

RobertM

Leaving within the next hour, see you later...

MarkS

See you Friday - hopefully before lunch.

Mark

Carole

Thursday and friday we had clearskies up toabout 12.30, saturday was dire with strong winds and rain.  Ivor biught theevent shelter so anumber of us cogregated in three in the evening . Unfortunately it got blown away early Sunday morning and is urepairabke.  Tonight some clear skies and a breee is forecast but Mark,  Robert,  Ivor a d Rachel are leaving tiday.  Julian arrived Saturday wuth his new home buikt Huge Dobsonian. Carole

Carole

Excuse. Typos, using smartphone

JohnP

Blimey Carole never seen so many typo's in a post.. you sure you not been on the 'sherry'... ;-)

Mike

Windy weather at Kelling?! Surely not?!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Quote from: Mike
Windy weather at Kelling?! Surely not?!

It does happen sometimes, so I've heard.

Mark

Carole

QuoteBlimey Carole never seen so many typo's in a post.. you sure you not been on the 'sherry'... ;-)
Bloody Nora, I didn't realise there were so many, not easy using a smartphone, tiny letters and tiny space to see what you're doing and making corrections is far from easy. Hope you managed to fathom it all out ha ha!

Well clear skies were predicted for Sunday night, but again the forecast was wrong, we had clear skies and fast moving clouds passing through and at first a breeze, so trying to image was a bit like playing dodgems.  I persevered, and the wind died down and the clouds got less frequent, so managed some imaging but also wasted quite a few subs because of either wind or clouds.  Decided I had had enough by 2.30.am.

Was going to use my Skytracker for the first time with the DSLR, but unfortunately my 450D seems to have died.  Would not switch on with either charged up battery, or the cabled battery, and Roy tried to see if he could get it to work but had no better luck.  I won't bother to replace it, so my Skytracker is going up for sale, but some-one has first dibs, so if it falls through will let you all know.

Carole

JohnP

Sounds good - what about last night? Any good - John

Carole

Presume you mean Monday John, I came home as I couldn't stay any longer, but clear skies all night were predicted. 

CArole

JohnP

Shame - was there anyone still there from club? John

Carole

Yes, Sue and Roy and Julian and friends were still there.
Also Doug and Rose who had booked a chalet are there for a week.

Carole

Carole

UKAI have put up a fantastic drone video of Kelling Heath:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syc7P2-3IJk&feature=youtu.be

Carole

Roy

That's a great video, UKAI were in the next field to us.

Roy

Mike

Great video but highly illegal.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RachelC

That is a great video. I remember watching the drone above. I could see our tent, the OAS event tent (RIP) and our cars. That was the Saturday :-)

Carole

QuoteGreat video but highly illegal.
I thought they were only illegal if flown near an airport or something.  Or is it the filming that is illegal.
Please elaborate.

QuoteThat was the Saturday
Yes before Julian had arrived as his pitch is empty.

Carole

Mike

It is illegal to fly a drone within 50 meters of people, vehicles, buildings or structures. Also over congested areas such as large gatherings. You also can't fly over 400 feet. So he broke quote a few of those rules.

It is unlikely you would get prosecuted though unless you were putting people in serious danger or if he was flying without insurance.