Author Topic: Solo DSC  (Read 236 times)

Carole

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
    • Carole's images
Solo DSC
« on: Sep 02, 2016, 18:09:30 »
I decided to go on my own to Cairds, and stopped two nights, Wednesday and Thursday.  Wednesday was originally predicted to be clear, and revised later in the day to part cloud.  There were some reasonable gaps in the cloud, but Thursday night was a waste of time as more cloud than clear sky and what there was had thin cloud.

It was the first imaging I have done since 10th April.  Having had such a large gap I made a few errors. 

1. Put the cameras on the wrong scopes in my dual rig, so instead of matching the FOV, I got one camera with much larger FOV than the other. 

2. Plugged the Atik460 into the wrong USB port and wondered why it didn't work.

3. Almost had a catastrophe as I tried to move my tripod once Polaris came into view and managed to collapse one of the legs and the whole lot would have toppled over if I had not grabbed it, and shouted help to my next door neighbour who came and clamped it up for me.  Still looked reasonably level and as I got embroiled (some time back) in a discussion on SGL where both Steve Richards and Olly swore blind that it wasn't essential to have the mount level, I decided to leave it as it was and see what happened.

4. Biggest cock up was doing 50 minutes of imaging before I realised I had forgotten to switch the cooling on on both cameras.   Doh :! :!

I managed to get some more data though, so hopefully an image will be appearing.

Some nice people down at the camp, very friendly and helpful. 

Roll on Kelling.

Carole

« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2016, 20:34:59 by Carole »

MarkS

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
Re: Solo DSC
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2016, 20:07:04 »
Nice story!  Everything went wrong for me as well on my first imaging session after months of inactivity - so you're not alone.

The mount does not have to be level as long as it points to the North Celestial Pole. Unless you are doing a multi-night session and frame orientation and/or diffraction spikes must match up to a previous session without any rotation.

Mark

Fay

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
    • Faysastroimages
« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2016, 20:14:13 »
Oh dear Carole, talk about a carry on. hope you got something after all that

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

• O. A. S.
  • Galaxy Cluster
    • Carole's images
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2016, 20:43:49 »
I did the Pacman Nebula, hoping to get better Oiii data than I got at home and some Sii and also did Ha with the Atik460, but already have some Ha data taken previously, so might try to combine it.  Did a quick process in the van, but need to do it properly from the desktop.

2nd night my Electronic filter wheel was not being recognised by the software (i.e the numbers were not showing, it seemed to be turning when I selected a different filter but again did not show which filter it was, then when I tried to use the sequencer it wouldn't work because it said it didn't recognise the filterwheel.  This has happened once or twice before, I hope it's not going wrong as this and the filters are an expensive item.  As it turned out the sky did not stay decent enough 2nd night to do any imaging, so will have to check this out before Kelling. 

Carole