• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by Fay, Jul 24, 2016, 08:13:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

I am getting near to the deadline for upgrading.

has everyone been ok with it?
have you all upgraded?
is it a lot different to Win 7?
do all programs have to be redone?

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

doug

I have an ASUS laptop running Windows 10, Fay, and have found that it`s a lot better than Windows 8. Had to replace my old Sony laptop to do the OAS reports...... The new laptop came with the Windows 10, but it`s better than Windows 7.....

Hope this helps. Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

ApophisAstros

i've had every windows since its inception and win 10 is by far the most stable and fastest, on my systems.
  If you want to before you upgrade , you can do a ghost copy of your old system and if things go wrong you can always go back so you can sort something out.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

The Thing

I have windows 10 on my observatory laptop and desktop and have had no problems. It does uninstall a lot of programs it thinks are incompatible but you can just re-install them after as it does create a list for you. Bit of a pain but gives you an opportunity to make sure everything is the latest versions.

Fay

I am going to stay with Win7. I will be ok for a few years and will probably be ready for a new computer by the time, all support stops

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: Fay on Jul 24, 2016, 08:13:20
I am getting near to the deadline for upgrading.

has everyone been ok with it?
have you all upgraded?
is it a lot different to Win 7?
do all programs have to be redone?

Fay

Ok I'll answer your questions

Yes
Yes
+3
No but you will lose some if they are very old

Delphine

I finally gave in and upgraded last week and I am happy with it.

Klitos

Quote from: Rocket Pooch on Jul 26, 2016, 19:46:05
Ok I'll answer your questions

Yes
Yes
+3
No but you will lose some if they are very old

How can you answer "yes" to "Have you all upgraded?"

I've got two PCs. I allowed Microsoft to upgrade my desktop, but prevented it from upgrading my laptop, which is still running Windows 7. For the last 10 months, I've been using both versions regularly. On the whole, I still prefer Windows 7. I have some minor gripes with Windows 10, but for the average user, I would say go for it, it's not that bad. (And definitely go for it if you're on Windows 8.)

Rocket Pooch

Because Yes we have all upgraded here.  I'm far from the average user and its better than Windows 7.

Carole

I shan't upgrade to windows 10 until I really have to. 

Currently using Windows 7 Desktop and still have my old imaging laptop on Vista.  Everything works just fine on that except I had to ditch google chrome which is no longer supported (but since the primary use is for imaging and hardly ever use it for the internet I'm not bothered too much).

I also have a 2nd imaging laptop running windows 7 but I haven't ironed out the guiding on the W7 laptop, can't remember what the problem was now as not done any imaging for a while. 

I just have a sneaking suspicion that once most people have gone over the W10 that they are going to start charging for stuff you can get free on earlier systems.  I think I saw something once when my computer was trying to get me to upgrade to W10 that there might be charges to use the internet. 

Carole

Mac

QuoteI saw something once when my computer was trying to get me to upgrade to W10 that there might be charges to use the internet

More then lightly they are covering their arses with regard to the mobile version of the software as windows 10 is a one shoe fits all platforms,
and as they have stuffed it full of advertising and data collection which they send back to themselves so that they can target custom advertising, they are warning
that data usage will be high, and by that they probably mean a few hundred meg (of adverts) which when you are using it at home is nothing but on a mobile data tariff you will soon
rack up a nice bill if you dont monitor it, especially if you are on a low data usage.

I upgraded Rhondas laptop and i must say i am surprised as it does run quite well, a few niggles to start with, reinstalling a couple of bits of software, but that wasnt a problem,
but the only real thing that still grates me is the fact that they still wont let you run your own PC the way you want to,
I'm an administrator, just give me bloody access to the files i want, dont tell me that I dont have permission,
especially as its only the host file.

The only other thing that I thing is appalling is the fact that to set up the parental controls I must set James up with a Microsoft account and link it to a Microsoft account that i own,
well I did fire an E-mail to them telling them that they can shove that idea as there is no way Im setting James up with any account.
So I just reinstalled Nortons Family, It does the Job with out any hassle, no accounts, no linking of people for data mining.

These days everything is geared up for data collection, advertising, junk  E-mails ect and if im brutally honest its really annoys me thats why I always Jailbreak my devices and stick ad blockers in and firewall monitors and update host files, Im just not interested in adverts period, and windows 10 is going to be an advert based operating system which is a pity.

Mac

Fay

well I have stayed with Win 7. if I want 10 in the future, before I buy a new computer, I will just pay for it.

Mike

Quote from: Mac on Jul 30, 2016, 20:40:07
These days everything is geared up for data collection, advertising, junk  E-mails ect and if im brutally honest its really annoys me thats why I always Jailbreak my devices and stick ad blockers in and firewall monitors and update host files, Im just not interested in adverts period, and windows 10 is going to be an advert based operating system which is a pity.
Mac

Which is why I've switched to Linux.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

QuoteWhich is why I've switched to Linux.
Not using apple any more then Mike? 

Does Linux operate all the astro software needed for imaging?

Carole

Mac

QuoteWhich is why I've switched to Linux.
QuoteNot using apple any more then Mike? 

:D Apple is linux based...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X

I would do but at the moment I have too much software to port over, but give it time

Mac.