• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M27 Dumbell Nebula

Started by The Thing, Jul 10, 2016, 13:52:08

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Single 300s @ iso1600 full frame sub. It was a very clear patch before the clouds rolled in. A real teaser. If I'd got a couple of hours worth like this... But it's still my best Dumbell yet.

Image date, time and location   Manche, France 2016-07-07 01:46 CET
Telescope aperture and focal ratio   LX90 8" UHTC f6, NEQ6 belt drive, OAG
Camera and filters used           Canon 1100D defiltered, IDAS LPS-D1
Processing applied                   Lightzone only to tweak levels a bit, no sharpening, single sub

Scope has been cleaned and collimated since last deep sky use as well as a belt drive installed.

Roy

Super image for a single exposure, also the stars look really sharp. I just wish we had skies like that here in Sevenoaks.

Roy

Carole

Excellent for one sub.

Carole

The Thing

Quote from: Roy on Jul 10, 2016, 14:39:13
Super image for a single exposure, also the stars look really sharp. I just wish we had skies like that here in Sevenoaks.

Roy
Thanks Roy. The stars are sharper than ever, scopes the same. Maybe I managed to re-assemble the scope with all the optics perfectly aligned this time round (very important with an SCT). The (only) previous sub wasn't as good and the next was clouded out, it was just a very clear patch. The skies are pretty good here, at least the cloud likes it!

The Thing

Quote from: Carole on Jul 10, 2016, 16:01:01
Excellent for one sub.

Carole
Thanks Carole. If I had spent less time collimating and focusing maybe there would have been more than one ;)

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Very good Duncan, that will be my first target too!! not sure when that will be...........soon I hope
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Excellent single sub Duncan!

I arrived back from France yesterday after 2 week holiday.  Really hoping for some clear sky soon here in the UK.

Mark

Fay

well Mark, the nights  are drawing in. i have been doing a lot of daytime photography and went to Greenwich park for sunset last week. i am going again tonight. i get a bit despondent when I look at the wonderful colour astro images people now take.
i do feel I an on a plateau, at the moment, and because of where we are are, and weather etc, I know I will never get to anything near those standards. they seem to do 30 hour subs now! i need to really improve to give me a boost

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

There's no hope of us managing to get the amount of data we need for images Fay. 
a) We have to wait for a dark site.
b) the weather needs to play ball on several consecutive nights to get lots of data on only one target. 
c) Chosen target needs to be in the sky all night to get maximum data.

Unless we move to a darker location, I think we have to resign ourselves to not being able to compete.

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Carole on Jul 17, 2016, 10:42:05
There's no hope of us managing to get the amount of data we need for images Fay. 
a) We have to wait for a dark site.
b) the weather needs to play ball on several consecutive nights to get lots of data on only one target. 
c) Chosen target needs to be in the sky all night to get maximum data.

Unless we move to a darker location, I think we have to resign ourselves to not being able to compete.

Carole

I think you have succinctly summarised the purpose of Deep Sky Camps and Star Parties :)

The main problem we have had in the last year is that the weather has not played ball.  It has been a deeply frustrating 12 months.  In any case, in the UK we'll never get the quality images that those in the south of France or in Spain can achieve, simply because their weather is much better. 

The problem will be far worse following Brexit because the EU plans to send all their rotten weather to us  :cheesy:

Mark

Carole

QuoteThe problem will be far worse following Brexit because the EU plans to send all their rotten weather to us
:cheesy: :cheesy: