• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Transit of Mercury

Started by Rick, May 09, 2016, 12:35:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

I hope folk with the proper equipment have taken advantage of the clearish skies to take a look at the transit that's now underway. Watching it from my front garden. No images likely from me, but it's a good clear view I'm getting most of the time, even though there's some thin high cloud.

Observing details from Sky & Telescope.

Sue

We saw it a little while ago in a brief clear patch from our back garden with high cloud drifting by. Roy now has a camera attached but clouded out at the moment!

Rick

The first hour or so was reasonably clear. Now, not so good.

The Thing

It's been murky and drizzly all day here, just brightening a little now so might try for a glimpse of the event.

Carole

I managed 1 image of it and not sure yet if it's any good as I took it in RAW and forgot I needed to capture in Jpeg to stack in Registax, so will have to do some jiggery pokery with it.

I had intended to take 1 image per hour and do a mosaic but clouds put pay to that.

Carole

MarkS

My plan was to take 8 hours of video and make a timelapse movie.  But the forecast was cloudy and so I decided not to take the day off.

Mark

Fay

I set the ED80 up and had some good views, glad I did it
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

The Thing

I've got loads of subs as the overcast cleared eventually and I could snap in the gaps. Otherwise it was a warm drizzly day.

Rick

Great to see the photos from everyone.

Kenny

Well done everyone. Some lovely images there. I managed to get a couple of good snaps at the beginning and near the midpoint of the transit. I will post them shortly. Only DSLR @ 200mm though so not very crisp.

Rick