• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Solar filter pinhole

Started by Delphine, May 04, 2016, 15:45:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Delphine

How dangerous are pinholes in a solar filter ? I bought a Baader solar filter at Kelling and when I took it out today for the first time and held it against the sun I realised it had a pinhole.  I am too scared to fit it onto my telescope and have contacted the vendor.  I am waiting to hear from the vendor whether they can replace it.  In the meantime I hace been googling and it appears that sometimes pinholes do appear and are OK !!  I am not sure about this should I fight to get a replacement or not?

Cheers Delphine

Mike

If it is brand new it shouldn't have a pinhole. But they do tend to obtain them after a while.

However they can be repaired. Just paint over any scratches or holes with a tiny brush and some black enamel paint.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Also, when making your filter, double it up so it is 2 layers thick. That way any holes would only be a problem if they went through both pieces.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Delphine

Thanks Mike, you have put my mind at rest.  I will paint the hole with black enamel paint as you suggest.  I will also buy some Baader film to make another layer.  I did wonder about doing that but wasnt sure if it would obscure details of the sun.

Not pleased because I bought it as brand new but it was discounted so maybe it wasn't.

Delphine

Carole

I always understood that holes in solar filters were VERY dangerous and if it was new then I think it should be exchanged since the hole was not pointed out as a fault at the time.

I guess time is of the essence though with the transit so imminent.

Carole

Mike

If it is new then yes I agree. If it is old then holes are inevitable. Just paint over them. Perfectly safe.

Delphine

I thought it was new when I bought it but there is some damage to the packaging inside so I am now wondering as I bought it at Kelling and it was discounted, but still expensive £67.  I Have contacted the vendor and they say that they will battle to get the money back from Baader.  Surely they will have to give me the money back themselves.   In the meantime I haven't touched it. 

Mike

Quote from: Delphine on May 06, 2016, 06:29:46
.....and it was discounted, but still expensive £67.....

Wait, what? Are you talking about Baader solar film or a ready made filter?

Roy

Delphine,
Under the sale of goods act an item should be in perfect condition and fit for purpose, unless specifically stated that it is defective in some way (again the onus is on the vendor to inform you), the price doesn't come into it. When you bought the filter, your contract was with the vendor NOT with Baader, therefore the vendor has an obligation to replace your filter with a "good" one free of charge and it is then down to him to sort out with Baader.

Good luck

Roy

Carole

Delphine

Mike - I am talking about a ready made Baader filter.

Roy - I was surprised that when I phoned the vendor he said that Baader would be difficult about replacing it because their filters are never faulty. He said he would phone them and would phone me back but he hasn't yet.  He said Baader would take a while to respond anyway.  I thought that sounded odd and that they should be replacing it themselves. 

Unfortunately the packaging is damaged inside but not by me  It is not damaged in any way that could have caused the pinhole.  But I do wonder if I have been sold old stock or something.

Carole

Who were the vendors Delphine?  I remember you buying this at Kelling.

Carole

Delphine

Quote from: Carole on May 06, 2016, 23:37:08
Who were the vendors Delphine?  I remember you buying this at Kelling.

Carole

It is the Widescreen Centre. I am going to phone them again tomorrow to see what they say.
Delphine

Carole

At the very least they should exchange it.  I think they are in London, if you fancy going up there and having it out with them face the face.

Carole

Fay

Hope you never used it Delphine!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Delphine

Quote from: Fay on May 09, 2016, 14:55:57
Hope you never used it Delphine!!!!!!

No I held it up to sun before I assembled it - my eyes are safe!!!

Delphine

Took the filter back to Widescreen Centre today.  They agree that it has a pinhole and are going to replace it.  Hopefully I should get another one i  a day or so.

Carole

Glad they are going to replace it, but they should have offered this in the first place not try to fob you off until you had to go to see them personally and show them and because of their delay you missed the mercury transit.

Carole

Roy

This is really good news Delphine, but I must admit I would have expected that you would have received better service than that from the Widescreen Centre.

Roy

Mike

Glad you got it fixed Delphine. I agree with everyone else that the service you received from The Widescreen Centre was very poor. I would avoid using them again.

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Delphine

I am happy now - I have my replacement solar filter.   Now I need the sun!!