• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

New CMOS Camera available in Mono/Colour

Started by RobertM, Apr 12, 2016, 11:31:50

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

A new camera from ASI1600 available both cooled/uncooled in colour/mono.

http://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/products/usb-3-0/asi1600mm/

Spec's are available on Facebook where there is a comparison of it vs the KAF1600.

https://www.facebook.com/ZwoDesignAstronomyCameras

Looks interesting and much more flexible than the KAF8300 chip.

Robert

MarkS

Read noise down at Sony A7S levels!  No mention of QE unfortunately but I guess it will be quite high.  Very reasonable price and a sensible size sensor.

This is the beginning of the march of the CMOS deep sky imaging sensors.  With read noise down near 1e, the days of stupidly long exposures for narrowband are over!

Mark

RobertM

The interesting thing is that binning 2x2 increases the well depth by a factor of four which means that the the internal chip registers are properly sized.  That's much better than the old KAF8300 and means much increased dynamic range and flexibility.

You might just be right :)

Rocket Pooch

MarkS

Unfortunately I've seen lots of reports of amp glow in the cooled darks and lights.  Yes, cooled.  Too early to say why.

Mark

RobertM

Well they are much less than half the price and, I think, much more flexible.  Unfortunately the low price seems to have put off more experienced imagers and I reckon that's contributed to some of the poor results I've seen.  I've also seen a few really good images showing what the (ASI1600) camera is capable of in the right hands.

Time will tell if it's a bargain but things are looking very positive.

Robert

Roy

Certainly I'm watching with interest, as it could make replacing my old D500 a lot more affordable, notwithstanding that filters have to be cranked into the equation.

Roy