• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Kelling Spring

Started by Fay, Mar 03, 2016, 19:47:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Who is going to Kelling in April?

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Roy

We are and it's now only 5 weeks away. Yippppeeeeee. We'll be arriving on Wednesday 6th and leaving Monday 11th April.

Roy and Sue

Delphine

Ian and I are.   We are looking forward to it and staying in a caravan this time!
Delphine

doug

Rose and I are going... but we have a static caravan type chalet thingy to stay in. We will be there from Sat 9th April until Sat 16th April ... one week. Hopefully Jean Clift is also coming with us.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

I haven't booked, I tend not to go in the Spring.

Carole

julian

We are as well.
Thursday to Monday

Lorraine and Julian  :brolly:

Sue

Just browsing the Norfolk geology site to discover that there is a guided walk next Thursday afternoon. I have sent an e-mail to book up for me and Roy (hoping still spaces)  so putting link here in case anyone else is interested too.

http://www.northfolk.org.uk/geology_walk_3.html

Fay

Thanks for that Sue. I wont be there until thursday and would not have the energy to do a challenging walk, but it does sound nice.

RobertM

Hmmm...  That's a yes or a no depending on what happens Monday.

julian

Thanks for that Sue. I wont be there until late Thursday.

Fay

weather not looking good from thursday.

Fay

Delphine

Oh no! Thank goodness we will be in a caravan!

Sue

We have fingers crossed for tomorrow night at least, netweather shows it may be ok on Sunday night too. The forecasts have been so changeable in the past week I think it is a case of wait and see on the day.

RobertM

It's alright for you lazy campers :-?

Mind you I don't blame you ;)

Robert

MarkS

Who's there already?  I'll be arriving Friday lunchtime.  Can't wait!

Mark

doug

Rose and I plus Jean are coming on the Saturday.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

The Thing

I am really feeling astrocamp-sick with you lot getting together. I must try and get to a DSC soooon. Might try a French event this summer as well if I get my camping gear here from Beckenham.

Carole

Well as Ivor can't go to Cairds after all I have been toying with coming to Kelling (if you can't beat em - join them) but was having difficulty getting a decent pitch, was gutted to miss the clear sky last night.

Now suddenly Robert can't go and is selling me his pitch (315), so see you all later today (Thursday).  Where is every-one else?

Carole

MarkS

ApophisAstros

i take it no signal at Kelling as no reports in.
  Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

MarkS

Back home.  Friday night was cloudy and Saturday it rained most of the day.  The sky cleared this morning at 1:30am giving stupendous views and the darkest sky I have ever recorded: SQM 21.72.  Those few hours until dawn made the trip worthwhile.

Unfortunately my mount has a probable blown control board so I was unable to take advantage of the sky for imaging :(

Mark

ApophisAstros

Is it right that rain clears the atmosphere and it is better conditions afterwards?
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

RobertM

Sorry to hear about the control board Mark, at least you finally had some excellent sky.  The best sky I've ever seen was nearby (just south of Cromer) at this time of year after a brief snowstorm and that was incredible.

Robert

Carole

I too am back and Roger you are correct, no signal at all, couldn't even send a text. 

As Mark says last night's sky was fabulous even if we did have to wait up until about 1am for it to clear.

There are still some others there, Fay, Julian and Lorraine, Sue and Roy and Doug and Rose who are staying for a whole week. 

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Apophis
Is it right that rain clears the atmosphere and it is better conditions afterwards?
Roger

Sometimes rain leaves behind horrible murky humid air with terrible transparency.  Other times it clears out the atmosphere leaving pristine skies.

Quote from: RobertM
Sorry to hear about the control board

I took a look and it appears I have shorted a component out - not sure how.  Luckily I have a spare board, so the mount is already back in operation.

Mark

Carole

Glad you got the mount sorted Mark, maybe it was that dangling cable with the metal bit on the end that caused it as you thought might have been the case.

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
Glad you got the mount sorted Mark, maybe it was that dangling cable with the metal bit on the end that caused it as you thought might have been the case.

The dangling cable was the GPUSB cable for controlling the mount.  It was plugged into the mount and it is likely that the free end touched either the mount leg or a battery terminal :(

Never leave dangling cables!

Mark

Fay

My problem photo program, causing pink pictures was caused by the version being too old,  all sorted now

MarkS

Quote from: Fay
My problem photo program, causing pink pictures was caused by the version being too old,  all sorted now

Glad it's sorted - it was a very weird problem.

Mark

MarkS

Quote from: MarkS
The dangling cable was the GPUSB cable for controlling the mount.  It was plugged into the mount and it is likely that the free end touched either the mount leg or a battery terminal :(

I've identified that the surface mounted component labelled L1 has been shorted out.  If I bridge it with a thin wire, the board works again. This L1 component, along with L2 are the most common components to short out and mine is consistent with a short through the handset connector.  I just need to find a source for surface mounted components.

Mark

The Thing

Old boards are good for this sort of thing. When my EQ6 board on 'Big Mick' went it was one of the stepper controller chips that burnt out, which is a bit more challenging to replace - 6 weeks and £100 for a new board. At least I have spares for the replacement now :{