• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Observing evening weather

Started by Ivor, Jan 11, 2016, 14:00:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

You are right Mark. I cling onto it as I like its physical convenience.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

doug

The last Observing Evening was held, courtesy of Miriam and Jeff, at their house, for which I personally would like to thank them and it was very good and interesting evening. And Fay, I think you are correct saying that people have moved away and the journey is a bit too far to come, especially if people are working and don`t get home until later in the evening. Rose and I will hopefully continue to go on a Tuesday evening, hoping that someone will turn up, and if it`s clear we will find a venue, perhaps the park opposite the pub for a shufti at the evening sky.

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

RobertM

Mark,

I'm glad you forced yourself back out, I went though a similar thing a while back.  Nothing would work properly and could not get decent images.  You're right though, life's far too short and precious and I'd wasted too much time sorting things that were intractable (at least to me).

Fay, the hub is good just make sure you power it before connecting the USB to your laptop !

Robert

Rick

Quote from: doug on Jan 14, 2016, 09:32:51
I remember the days when we used to turn up, irrespective of the weather, just in case it cleared, for a chat and sometimes discussion about astronomy and other things.

Yes, the "not turning up unless it's clear" attitude does seem to have come to the fore of late. Way back when, there were two reasons for starting observing evenings in the pub. First, because the Landlord held the Key to The Gate, and second, because when it was too cloudy to observe we could have a good chat over a pint. The first of those reasons went a long time back when we stopped using the top field down Skibbs Lane, but the second remained important.

This seems to have gone by the board now and the observing evenings are a thing of the past. What a shame.....

It does seem that the "have a chat over a pint" side has waned considerably, probably pretty much in step with the waxing of the "not turning up unless it's clear" attitude.

Perhaps one days they will return and we can celebrate an observing evening again.....

Perhaps it's time to formally cut the ties between the observing and social functions observing evenings used to fulfil, and instigate a regular monthly informal social evening?

Fay

I was thinking, last night, I did not realise that Doug & Rose have kept turning up at the pub on Observing Evenings, and no one ever turns up. they still live in hope. it is a shame

doug

Thanks Rick.... you understand where I was coming from ..... But Rose and I will will still turn up on THE Tuesdays. And as the drinks these days are very expensive, we just "buy our own". Hope to see you there on the next Observing evening, or social chat evening .... or whatever.
Doug. (and Rose)....

Always look on the bright side of life ...

RobertM

Fay, The observing evening has never disappeared from the calendar as far as I'm aware.

I do turn up from time to time but that isn't dependent on the weather, more due to time (and remembering).  Rick may be right, perhaps more should be made of the observing evening as social events at the meetings.  We can't really do 'proper' Observing evenings without an observing officer present with the keys.

Another thing are the imaging evenings for which I'll open another thread...

Robert

Fay

No I know it has not disappeared. it is just that things change over the months and years, and that has had an impact on observing evening attendance, its one of those things.

Carole

QuoteAnother thing are the imaging evenings for which I'll open another thread...

That's a good point Robert, I did not put them on the calendar because last year Miriam contacted a few people before the calendar was made up and got some dates, but that didn't happen this year.

That is no reason not to have them though, we just need some volunteers and a few dates during the year.  I'll wait for your thread.

Regarding observing evenings, I personally do not go to them for the following reasons:

a) I feel that I am just looking at the same stuff every time, and the skies are not that great around Bromley/Orpington. 
b) I don't know if I can be bothered to hack all the way down to Bough Beech for observing. 
c) I don't particularly want to spend the evening just chatting and drinking in the Pub, I am not much of a Pub person.
d) Yes, I forgot this one until I read Fay's next post, if the skies are clear I would most likely be imaging at home.

Carole

Fay

Yes, for me, i would not go if the sky was going to be good. would be at home imaging.

if not a scope owner, or just starting out, I think observing is more attractive to them.
After having imaged and been around for a while, 2 planets and the moon and a fuzzy blob, are not interesting.
it is nice to have a chat and a relax for a while, keep in touch with others.

Some people love observing. at Kelling etc , I have had a look at what everyone is raving about and it does not move me very much. imaging has ruined all that, I think. 

Do I sound harsh??

Rick

Seems to me there are probably quite a few folk who'd turn up to a social evening if it happened in a regular predictable way, but who won't turn up to something as movable as an observing evening. That observing evenings hop around the month depending on the phase of the Moon is all very Astronomical, but hopeless from a planning point of view, as pretty much everything else happens on a monthly schedule. (To be honest, the present "Tuesday nearest the New Moon" scheme is good from an astronomical perspective only if you're only interested in dark nights. It cuts Lunar observing right out of the equation.)

Carole

QuoteAfter having imaged and been around for a while, 2 planets and the moon and a fuzzy blob, are not interesting.
it is nice to have a chat and a relax for a while, keep in touch with others.

Some people love observing. at Kelling etc , I have had a look at what everyone is raving about and it does not move me very much. imaging has ruined all that, I think. 
Mostly agree with this too.  I do do some observing when I am at Kelling and look through other people's scopes while the imaging is chugging away.  Only rarely do I see anything that I haven't seen before and am impressed. 

I do think observing evenings are important for new members joining though.

Carole