• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M42 - Horsehead Nebulae - 1st attempt with camera lens

Started by Carole, Jan 24, 2016, 13:48:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

As stated this is my first attempt with a camera lens to get a DS object (I sort of skipped this stage when getting into imaging and went straight for scope imaging).

My first DS image with a camera lens.
Canon 450D & 18 - 200mm zoom lens @ 200mm F5.6 800iso
Mixture of 10 x 5mins, 15 x 180secs and 9 x 30secs for the core
NEQ6 guided

Not a patch on Fay's image, but obviously using different equipment.
Waxing gibbous Moon which gave some gradients, most of which I managed to get rid of.

Stars are a bit squiffy here and there, guess this is another learning curve.  Any thoughts on this? 

Then for fun I added Ha data from previously taken images obviously taken with scope and mono camera.

MarkS

That's a really good attempt.

I'm afraid that squiffy stars are a frequent problem with camera lenses - especially zoom lenses.  You will be much better off using a good quality prime lens i.e. a non-zoom lens.

Mark

RobertM

That's pretty good considering you've used a zoom.  IMHO it's only worth persevering with it if you don't look too closely at the corners.

Robert

Carole

Thanks Mark and Robert.  So no remedy then for the stars?

QuoteYou will be much better off using a good quality prime lens i.e. a non-zoom lens.
There was about £400 difference in price as I managed to get this lens on Ebay 2nd hand, so I bought it to "give it a go" and see how I get on.  If I decide to "persevere with using a lens", then I'll upgrade later on. 

There were just a few widefield targets I wanted to get this being one of them, so didn't want to spend a fortune. 

Carole

RobertM

I'm seriously considering the Samyang 135 f/2 which should be usable wide open with your canon.  Samyang do have a bit of a problem with quality control but if you get a good one then it will be superb.

Robert

Carole