• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Image Stablised Binoculars - Help Please

Started by Roy, Oct 21, 2015, 11:33:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

I'm thinking of buying a pair of image stabilised binoculars (a retirement present to myself) not just for astronomy, but for general use including bird watching, carrying around on walks, etc.. To this end I've short listed the Canon 10x30 IS IIs; does any one any experience of using these binoculars and/or IS binoculars in general?

Carole

I think Hugh owns some stabilising binoculars, might be worth having a chat with him.

Carole

Mike

I've got the Canon 10x50's IS and they are excellent. Great for terrestrial stuff too. Well worth the investment.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

I've looked through most of the Canon models and would thoroughly recommend them over anything else.  The stabilisation has an amazing effect, I looked through the 10x30s a few years ago - very light and easy to use.  The 12x36's aren't much more heavy but have a narrower field of view.  Check out http://www.garyseronik.com/?q=node/25 for some Astro related reviews.

Robert

Roy

Thank you for all the comments which rather reinforced my views. I suspect that I might be popping down to Park Cameras in the very near future as apparently they have most models on display to play with. However, the danger with that is I might try looking through the '10x42 L' binoculars, which could get seriously expensive.

JohnP

Must admit the 10 X 30 have tempted me... still not taken the bait so I'll be interested to see what you think...

MarkS

I bought Dee the Canon 12x36 IS binos for looking at the birds in the garden.  The image stabilisation works really well indeed.  They are also really good for astronomy - the stabilisation makes it far easier to see fainter objects and detail.  The optics are also very good.

The 10x50 version is even better but a tad more expensive.  The optics are excellent.

RobertM

Roy, the L version is quite heavy especially on the pocket :( ... FWIW my personal choice would be what Mark has though they are quite a bit more than the 10x30's.

I'm in the same boat as John - been ever so tempted but never pressed the button !

Robert

ApophisAstros

Quote from: Mike on Oct 21, 2015, 17:40:22
I've got the Canon 10x50's IS and they are excellent. Great for terrestrial stuff too. Well worth the investment.
I can "hear hear" that as I checked them out at a DSC once.
Roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Roy

Thank you for all the advice; my spangly new Canon 10x30s arrived today (No thanks to Currys!), so I'm ready to do lots of bird watching, as I suspect I've now jinxed the weather for any observing.

JohnP

nice - give us a report on what you think once you've had a play.. John