• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Cocoon Nebula HaLRGB from DSC

Started by Carole, Oct 11, 2015, 15:24:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Taken on Friday night from Cairds:

Two imaging cameras and scopes HEQ5
A: WOZS71 + FR x 0.8/ Atik314L
B: SW ED80 + FR x 0.8/ Atik460

A: 11 x 600 Lum, 5 x 600 Red, 3 x 600 Blue, 3 x 600 Green
B: 16 x 600 secs Ha
Total imaging time 6 hours 20 mins

That WO Scope is a so and so for giving blue halos, very difficult to deal with during the processing.  I am not alone with this problem, there are threads about it.

Ivor

You've captured some detail in nebula as well as keeping the star colour, great result.

Carole

Fay

well you did not waste any time, while you were there Carole. lots of images to show for it
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Thanks Fay, yes I like to make maximum use of the darks skies when I am there. 

Carole

JohnP

Halo's are a right pita..... I remember exact same issues when I imaged this down at ollies place about 7 or 8 years ago..& that was with ZS66.. :-( I guess that's why people spend a lot of money on scopes...

Nice image though & the dark lane is showing nicely.

John

Carole

I agree John, but I don't seem to get it with the Skywatcher scopes. 

I have just had a thought -  I might swap the Filter wheels over so I am using the Skywatcher for the colour and the WO for the Ha/Oiii and luminance filter I just bought this morning.  Maybe that might eliminate the blue halo problem.  All trial and error.

QuoteNice image though & the dark lane is showing nicely.
Thanks John. 

Carole

RobertM

You've been busy Carole, I'm glad there were some clear skies at DSC.

A very nice image though I'd say that the stars look all the same colour (not that it's necessarily wrong).

Robert

The Thing

You are prolific Carole, give you a dark sky and a whole menagerie of objects get captured! Nice image, it really looks prominent on my screen.

Carole

Thanks Robert and Duncan. 

I agree about the stars Robert the only ones that are different are those with the halos around them.  Well all I can do is put them together and this is what comes out.  I did tone the colour intensity down a bit as they were much more yellow and the halos were brighter, but that's all I did.

Carole

MarkS

That's looking really good Carole.  I wonder if it would be possible to see the brown dust if you adjust the black level a bit? 

The nebula itself needs a bit more blue I think - I wonder if you can enhance the blue in the nebula without increasing the blue haloes of the stars? 

Mark

Carole

Thanks Mark.

QuoteI wonder if it would be possible to see the brown dust if you adjust the black level a bit? 
I did try but nothing doing.

I have since seen another cocoon where the poster did 900sec subs in luminance and this was starting to show up the dust, so might give that a try next time.  Also see my comments above about swapping the filter wheels.

QuoteYou are prolific Carole, give you a dark sky and a whole menagerie of objects get captured!
:lol: :lol:

Carole