• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Yet anotheeer... timelapse eclipse video

Started by RobertM, Oct 07, 2015, 22:34:45

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

One frame taken every 30s using SXV-H694 camera with Ha filter on the RH200, stacked binned and AVI'd (5fps) in MaximDL.  Unfortunately I only caught it till just after the eclipse point as my field of view ran out.

Not quite sure what went wrong with the link but if you click on the black bit then it'll take you to the AVI and a play button.  This version is about 100MB total size but it streams so you shouldn't notice it to badly, the full res one is much larger but only really adds a bit of detail to the surface.

Lunar_eclipse_Ha

by Robert Mercer, on Flickr

Have one other to process but that may prove more challenging.

Robert

MarkS

Quote from: RobertM on Oct 07, 2015, 22:34:45
This version is about 100MB total size but it streams so you shouldn't notice it to badly, the full res one is much larger but only really adds a bit of detail to the surface.

100MB !!!  it streams? Really???  It might stream on your fancy suburban cable internet.  Out here in the sticks that would be a 20-30 minute download.

In any case, clicking on that big black square (which I assume is the video) sends me to a Yahoo login screen.

Mark

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

Oops sorry it's public now.

Mark, it was that size on my PC but seemed to stream down ok.  If you have trouble then I'll try 3x3 or 4x4 binning.

Robert

JohnP

streamed fine for me in work... That really is quite impressive Robert - very smooth.. John

Carole

Very smooth.  Just puzzled why you used a Mono camera for this event though. 

Carole

RobertM

Quote from: Carole on Oct 08, 2015, 08:16:37
Very smooth.  Just puzzled why you used a Mono camera for this event though. 

Carole

It was one of the options I used.

I have another version which has the moon flip-flopped to match what you would see with the naked eye and also lightly processed, will post that shortly.

Robert

RobertM

JohnP

Robert - just to confirm then near end of vid when moon goes really dark/ fuzzy & then back to normally lit is that you adjusting exposure for the fully eclipsed moon? John

RobertM

Quote from: JohnP on Oct 08, 2015, 10:51:09
Robert - just to confirm then near end of vid when moon goes really dark/ fuzzy & then back to normally lit is that you adjusting exposure for the fully eclipsed moon? John

Hi John,  yes the exposure increased from 0.02s to 5s - I thought it was the best time to do it.  Unlike a dslr it doesn't have any auto exposure and readjusting manually each time wasn't a good option with two cameras running.

Robert

MarkS

Quote from: RobertM on Oct 08, 2015, 10:40:13
3x3 Binned version for the more rural:

Thanks - that looked really good.  Very well registered and smooth.

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

The Thing