• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Practice run for the eclipse

Started by MarkS, Sep 26, 2015, 23:19:01

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Quick practice run for the eclipse.

Sony A7S on Celestron C11 with TS 0.8x flattener.  1/160sec at ISO 100 with electronic shutter so NO mirror slap or shutter vibration.

Larger version here:
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2015/moon20150926.jpg

Mark

JohnP

what's the weird bit at bottom ( 6 o'clock pos)..?

Mike

Quote from: JohnP on Sep 26, 2015, 23:21:06
what's the weird bit at bottom ( 6 o'clock pos)..?

Looks like a dust bunny to me.

Great pic for a single frame.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Yes, it's a lump of dust.  I didn't calibrate with a flat frame :(

Mark

JohnP

you sure its not some new Alien evidence ;-)

Fay

I thought I could get the Meade 8 1/2 out, but having looked high & low, I do not have a suitable adaptor to take the DSLR......shame
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Fay

Looks like cloud for me tonight

Kenny

Quote from: Fay on Sep 27, 2015, 11:09:27
I thought I could get the Meade 8 1/2 out, but having looked high & low, I do not have a suitable adaptor to take the DSLR......shame

Fay - What do you need? I have a 1.25" T-ring / T-Adaptor for a Canon you can borrow. If you need to borrow bits from the OAS Meade let me know i.e. 1.25" Visual Back for the Meade.

MarkS

Quote from: Fay on Sep 27, 2015, 12:21:36
Looks like cloud for me tonight

Indeed, the forecast is looking far less promising now :(

Mark

Fay

Oh thanks Kenny. I need 2" adaptor for back of meade, that DSLR extension tube would fit in to. I think it is going to be cloudy anyway, and I can always use just  the camera with a lens. i would have to get out of a warm bed yet!!!!!!!!!!!(obstacle no 1)

Kenny

Fay

to fit the extension tube on the dslr into the adaptor, it is a 2"

The Thing

Quote from: Fay on Sep 27, 2015, 14:31:05
to fit the extension tube on the dslr into the adaptor, it is a 2"
Hi Fay,

Did you get a 2" - SCT diagonal as part of the gear? That would do at a pinch. What you really need is an SCT to T thread adaptor then you can screw the Canon T adaptor directly to the scope rather than using a wobbly push fit 2" extension.

RobertM

I have what you need to fit your DSLR to that scope, namely a Canon to 2" push fit adaptor.

Looking decidedly dodgy weather wise unless I head out to Brighton or somewhere else on the coast :(

Fay

I got a 1 1/2" fit with it.

I have the adaptor that goes on the dslr, already, but cant fit it to the sct. no worries, I would not have bought anything else, as I am waiting for the focusers to come in beginning of October. I have gone thru all my stuff but nothing fits, not even push pull

RobertM

<goalpost move>Like I said I have what you need, even an SCT to Canon bayonet</goalpost move>

If you don't want to use it then that's up to you.

Robert

Fay

thats very kind Robert, I should have thought earlier. John has just come in from being out fishing.

I have set up to test the guide camera, and will use the 300mm lens if I happen to be around early hour of the morning.

It would be nice to borrow it this week  sometime so I can check things out.