• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DSC 9 - 11th October

Started by Carole, Sep 22, 2015, 21:53:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Fay and I had a glorious two clear nights on Thursday and Friday evenings joined by Julian and Mark & Mac & James (not forgetting Daisy) on Friday. 

It was surprisingly warm and Sunny for October.  Saturday was cloudy, not sure if it cleared in the early hours as was in bed asleep by then.

Another great time was had by all. 

Sorry you couldn't make it Dave DSC is always weather dependent and we have cancelled a few this year, the more nights you come for the better the chance of one of them being clear.

Carole

MarkS

I've been to Cairds Farm twice now.  Both times I have recorded a SQM reading of 21.1 mag/arcsec^2 (after Fay has retired to bed).
This is better than the best I've ever recorded at (misty) Rother Valley.

My average at home is 20.9 and I only get 21.1 on a couple of exceptional nights each year.  The best I've ever recorded is Kelling Heath at 21.3 although Kelling Heath is typically 21.1

So my verdict is that Cairds Farms is a pretty dark place (as long as Fay has gone to bed)

Mark

Carole

That's good to know Mark. 

Well I think we will make this our regular campsite now we've tried it a couple of times and every-one seems happy with it and Fay has got her Glamping Pod, and they turn the lights off for us, with Running Water as our peak season venue when Cairds can't accomodate us.

Also the option of a couple of rooms B&B close by (same owners) if any-one wants to come but not camp.

Pete (Owner) says he will provide washing up facilities in the future but has spent quite a lot on building the glamping POD and 2nd toilet/shower so might not be immediately, but I think we can live with this for now.

Carole

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!