• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Solar Watch Knole Park Sevenoaks- Mon 17th Aug 2015 11:00-15:00 CANCELLED!

Started by Sue, Jul 26, 2015, 20:23:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Sue

For anyone not at the meeting on Thursday, we are hoping to run a solar watch as part of the Family Monday event in Knole Park on Monday 17th August. If you have not already spoken to me and would like to be involved assisting with the telescopes please let me know. It is a free public event ( National trust car park fee will apply though-free parking for members of the trust) so feel free to just turn up on the day.

Cheers Sue

Sue

At the moment not looking too good for the solar observing at Knole this coming Monday. I will make a call around Sunday lunchtime or early afternoon and confirm with  all who have volunteered to help if we are going ahead or have to postpone. Also post here for anyone just hoping to pop along on the day.

Notwithstanding that I have not had agreement yet with Knole staff about alternative dates ..... regarding fall back dates I am unable to help with observing on  Monday 24th as now leading the weaving activites –textiles theme - that day. If there are sufficient of OAS members who would like to try for an observing session that day please let me know and it would need someone to be designated overseer of the proceedings,be phone link on the day prior to and during arrival, make sure scopes kept on eye when volunteer members have a break etc.. I have no other commitments on Monday 26th October so I am happy to organise it for that date as an alternative. We did October half term last year and had excellent conditions.

If we have to cancel this Monday please let me me know your availability and or thoughts on the other dates. Then I can offer realistic alternatives to Knole staff.

Cheers, Sue.

Sue

Cancelled!

Sorry everyone but I do not think the forecasts are sufficiently optimistic for us to go ahead tomorrow. According to the BBC it may be sunny around ten o'clock but all other sites I have consulted have various cloudy conditions all day and even the BBC and Met Office have mostly cloudy for this area by 13.00.

I will see if we can find a day to try again and will post the date once confirmed with Knole staff.

Carole

To be honest, if I was to offer my services FOC and go to all the trouble of bringing my gear and getting down there and giving up my time, I don't expect to have to pay to park my car to do all this.  Surely they can make provision.

Carole

Sue

Yes, I am sorry Carole that I did not make it clear that the car park fee would be waived if you were signed up to  help at the event and not a member of the NT. Generally if other OAS members popped by to see us on the day normal admission would apply. Which I think is fair. I left Kenny's name at the gate last year as he could not come until 12 and there was no problem.

Carole

doug

Join the National Trust, Carole. Then you can get in lots of places for free ..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Sue

I had mentioned to those interested last time that we might try and do a solar watch at Knole on 26th October. The current Staff have shown no interest in our offer so I am afraid that we will not be part of the family activities this half term.

Thank you to all interested and I hope we can organise a public solar watch sometime in the future.