• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M27 re-process one year on HaOiiiRGB

Started by Carole, Aug 22, 2015, 10:21:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Seeing all these M27 APOD threads prompted me to have another "go" at the M27 I did last year as it has been bugging me.

This is the original:

This is the reprocess:

Fay

well that has come up well Carole. certainly paid off to go back to it

Looking at it blown up, it is slightly blurred, wondering if it is lined up ok. there is a line down the left hand side and about half inch along the bottom seems a different colour
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Thanks Fay, It is lined up OK.  Actually if you look at the original that is exactly the same.  Naughty me, I must remember to trim my edges. 

Part of the method of processing that I used was as in the Starizona process where you do in fact blur the colour but the Ha was not blurred. 
http://starizona.com/acb/ccd/software/ps_hargb.aspx

It's the same data as above (and not a lot of it):
Ha 2 x 30mins & 2 x 20 mins
RGB 2 x 15mins binned x 2

Carole

RobertM

Star colours are a bit better but, as Fay has mentioned, at the expense of some blurring.  Less OIII showing in the reprocess - is that intentional ?

Carole

Have you got them the right way round Robert, there is more Oiii showing in the reprocess?

Carole

MarkS

That's a big improvement in the nebulosity and especially the star colours in the nebulosity.  But elsewhere I think the stars have a bit of a blurry look about them.

Mark

Carole

I think you are right about the blurry stars Mark and Fay, I think I was a bit too heavy handed in my efforts.  Looks like it will be reprocess number 3 (1 done behind the scenes). 

Carole

Carole

OK final revision.  Thanks for the advice, always good to get constructive feedback to help improve.....and I remembered to crop the edges!!!   I think I can put this one to bed at last. 

The Thing

Very nice Carole, worth the effort you've put in.

Carole

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Thanks Fay, thanks for the nudge.

Carole

Ivor

This looks great Carole, what was the original kit you used for this and how did you change your processing to improve the output?

Carole

ED120 and Atik314L for the Ha, and ED80 and Atik314L for the Oiii.

Quotehow did you change your processing to improve the output?
I followed relevant bits of this tutorial and added a few tweaks of my own.  It helped reduce the noise and the background stars. 

http://starizona.com/acb/ccd/software/ps_hargb.aspx

Carole

JohnP

Quote....and I remembered to crop the edges!!!

They don't look cropped on my monitor -  bottom & RHS....

Nice image though & reprocess is definitely better.

John