• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Perseids - 12th/13th August

Started by Mike, Aug 09, 2015, 23:03:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Don't forget folks that the Perseid meteor shower is this week on the night of the 12th and into the morning of the 13th. With the potential for up to 100 per hour. The peak is expected to be at around 7:40 p.m. which is before it gets dark but hopefully a few hours later there will still be plenty to see. This year it coincides with a new moon so if the sky is clear it should be good. Unfortunately, the forecast at the moment isn't too promising but it is still 3 days away so fingers crossed.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

I had family over this weekend.  We sat outside around midnight last night for nearly an hour and saw 15-20.

Let's hope for some clear sky for the peak of the shower.

Mark

Mike

You were lucky Mark. Petra and I sat outside for around 30 mins and didn't see a thing. That was at around 10:30 though so obviously it picked up later in the night.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

Have you seen any detailed forecasts?

Mac

I had a look last night but alas i was greeted by cloud.  :(

Mac.

MarkS

Quote from: Mike on Aug 10, 2015, 12:49:40
You were lucky Mark. Petra and I sat outside for around 30 mins and didn't see a thing. That was at around 10:30 though so obviously it picked up later in the night.

I think the stuff that falls to earth exists in "clumps".  Sometimes you see many in quick succession then there are long periods with nothing.

Mark