• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Star trails - Cairds Campsite

Started by Carole, May 18, 2015, 22:55:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

Quote from: Carole on May 20, 2015, 00:33:59
I used Startrails Kenny and used the mode that's not supposed to leave gaps.  I only had 5 sec gaps, what do you normally do?

Ditto as you have described. 5 second gaps between 2 minute exposures.

Q: Are the gaps really 5 seconds? Did you have RAW or JPG enabled? I've started switching off RAW for star trails because I have a suspicion it's taking longer than 5 seconds to save the exposure and on a star trail JPG is good enough.

Carole

I was using Raw - force of habit.

Thanks Julian, and thanks for the advice Mark. 

Carole

Mike

You don't need RAW for a star trail image.

Kenny - I would make sure all of the noise reduction and hot pixel reduction settings are turned OFF. These will increase the time plus the algorithms often screw up the image anyway. You want to do noise reduction in post processing rather than in camera that way you have control over it.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Kenny

MarkS

Quote from: Mike

True,  but if the jpg doesn't work out for one reason or another then you have the RAW in reserve.

For that reason,I always shoot raw+jpg nowadays.

Mark

Kenny

Quote from: MarkS on May 20, 2015, 22:14:09
Quote from: Mike

True,  but if the jpg doesn't work out for one reason or another then you have the RAW in reserve.

For that reason,I always shoot raw+jpg nowadays.

Yes, but don't you think that's wasted on a star trail, unless you expect to need to adjust the exposure in post processing?