• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Star trails - Cairds Campsite

Started by Carole, May 18, 2015, 22:55:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

My first attempt at doing star trails. 
I was restricted as to where I could place the camera as I wanted to use the laptop and don't yet have Red plexi glass for my 2nd laptop, so I had to place the laptop in the van which meant I could only place the camera close by and trail the cables through the window.

On one side was Fay's glamping POD and car in the foreground obscuring the trees so I imaged the opposite side looking at the trees towards the SW and also looking at the trees that were lit from time to time by passing cars.

My new laptop went to sleep during one image which ended up 20 minutes long, so I presume the laptop didn't tell the camera to stop the capture!!!  (Had to tweak that sub as it was far too pale as I didn't want a 20 minute gap in the trails) and also tweak the laptop so it wouldn't do it again. 

Anyway, here it is:

49 x 2min subs 800 iso F5.6 modified Canon 450D

Fay

That looks ok Carole, what the red bit?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Do you mean the red on the trees? 
That's where the passing cars lit up the trees. 

Carole

doug

Are the little lines on the trails pauses between different exposures?? Or summat else???

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

nice colourful star trails :-) John

Carole

Thanks Mike and John.

QuoteAre the little lines on the trails pauses between different exposures?? Or summat else???
Yes they must be Doug, next time I'll try to make the gap smaller. 

Carole

MarkS

That's come out really nicely!

RobertM

Good colour in there Carole.  Looks like a fairly narrow FOV, what optics did you use ?

Carole

Thanks Mark and Robert.

QuoteLooks like a fairly narrow FOV
Yes I thought that.

I used the kit lens that came with the DSLR, 18 - 55mm it says on the lens.  I know absolutely nothing about lenses, so that's about as technical as I get ha ha!

I wasn't using the zoom - at least I don't think I was. 

Carole

Kenny

Lovely Carole. The colouring has a really nice, almost cartoon-painted effect because of the colouring of the tree.

I had the same question about field of view. It doesn't look like 18mm but that could simply be because the tree dominates the fov, you appear to have the same breadth of stars as my startrail.

Kenny

What app did you use to combine the exposures into a star trail? If you use Startrails or Starstax they both have a fill mode where they will fill in the short gaps between the exposures.

Carole

I used Startrails Kenny and used the mode that's not supposed to leave gaps.  I only had 5 sec gaps, what do you normally do?

Carole

MarkS

Those gaps are a bit too big for Startrails to cope with.  In PS rotate a copy very slightly along the trails directions and use the rotated version to fill the gaps.

Mark

julian

Kenny

Quote from: Carole on May 20, 2015, 00:33:59
I used Startrails Kenny and used the mode that's not supposed to leave gaps.  I only had 5 sec gaps, what do you normally do?

Ditto as you have described. 5 second gaps between 2 minute exposures.

Q: Are the gaps really 5 seconds? Did you have RAW or JPG enabled? I've started switching off RAW for star trails because I have a suspicion it's taking longer than 5 seconds to save the exposure and on a star trail JPG is good enough.

Carole

I was using Raw - force of habit.

Thanks Julian, and thanks for the advice Mark. 

Carole

Mike

You don't need RAW for a star trail image.

Kenny - I would make sure all of the noise reduction and hot pixel reduction settings are turned OFF. These will increase the time plus the algorithms often screw up the image anyway. You want to do noise reduction in post processing rather than in camera that way you have control over it.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Kenny

MarkS

Quote from: Mike

True,  but if the jpg doesn't work out for one reason or another then you have the RAW in reserve.

For that reason,I always shoot raw+jpg nowadays.

Mark

Kenny

Quote from: MarkS on May 20, 2015, 22:14:09
Quote from: Mike

True,  but if the jpg doesn't work out for one reason or another then you have the RAW in reserve.

For that reason,I always shoot raw+jpg nowadays.

Yes, but don't you think that's wasted on a star trail, unless you expect to need to adjust the exposure in post processing?