• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Solar flare and prominences

Started by Kenny, Apr 07, 2015, 15:22:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

Day 1 of trying out the new T Ring / Adaptor for my Canon EOS 450D DSLR. Still trying to figure out the optimal settings, and this image is clearly over-exposed, however it does show the massive solar flare and prominences very well even if the disk of the Sun is burnt out. Canon 450D at prime focus on Coronado Solarmax 60 with x2 Barlow.

RachelC

That is a great shot of the flare.

Carole

To be honest Kenny, I don't think a DSLR is the best choice for taking solar images. 

You did well to get what you did though.

Carole

Kenny

Quote from: Carole on Apr 10, 2015, 13:32:54
To be honest Kenny, I don't think a DSLR is the best choice for taking solar images. 

Ha ha. Judging by these results I think you could be right :lol:.

JohnP

I know nothing about solar imaging but I always thought you had to do separate exposures for flares & surface & then layer in PS or equivalent... Don't you also have to Tune the scope differently to be able to see surface detail verses prominence's etc... Again I could be talking a load of rubbish as I know nothing.. Anyay, image looks great to me... Nice one,  John

Kenny

Thanks. Yes. You're right John. You can tune the scope for surface vs prominances and expose separately. It's such a bl**dy faff though if you're doing a mosaic!  But I think Carole's comment stands - DSLR doesn't appear to be a good tool for this target. ;)

Carole

From what I have been told a mono camera is the best for taking solar images and then re-colourised it afterwards, and also you are right, you need to tune the scope differently to get the surface or prominences and then over lay the images into a combi.

Carole

RobertM

Did you use all the colour channels or the red as monochrome then re-colour (it looks like the former to me) ?

Try just the red channel as your monochrome image and recolour if you haven't already.

Robert