• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Meade tripod

Started by doug, Mar 29, 2015, 12:14:56

Previous topic - Next topic

doug

I am lucky to have obtained some equipment from Mick Welham`s astro equipment being offered on the Forum. Among the items is a Meade field de luxe tripod, which is no use to me as the scope is on a dovetail mount and will not fit on it.

If anybody is interested in this item, please PM me. I noticed that these mounts are on sale for about £90 but I will sell it for a lot less than that. One fault ... one of the two small bolts that attach the Meade mount to the tripod has lost it`s spring under the bolt. I do have the washer and circlip.. all it needs is a small spring under the bolt to be replaced. This is the large mount with the polar alignment wedge included.

There you go, let`s hope one of you technical people are interested.

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Kenny

The Meade ETX90 that Carole uses for Outreach doesn't have a tripod of its own, Carole uses her own. Would this tripod have the same fittings for that? In which case one option might be for the Society to buy it.

doug

This tripod is for the ETX 125 and might be a bit large for the ETX90 but could maybe be adapted to fit with some clever engineering....   I'm asking £30 or thereabouts for it as I bought all the Meade stuff from Tony Gaynor as he was dealing with MickW estate.

Doug.

Kenny

Thanks Doug. I'll need to have a chat with Carole when she is back from leave as it's linked with a plan to switch telescopes with one we inherited. Don't wait for me if you get another offer.
Cheers
Kenny

Carole

Just got back today.  I am actually looking for a more substantial tripod myself, plus Kenny suggested I took the society ETX and for a stand for it, so might kill two birds with one stone.

Still jet lagged and missing a night's sleep from the worst turbulence I ever encountered (for 5 hours) crossing the Atlantic, even the pilot said it was bad for them in the cockpit, so need to get some sleep before getting my head around things.

Carole

Kenny

To clarify my understanding, the ETX-90EC we inherited has it's own alt/az tripod. Proposal was to get a power supply for it then use that scope for Outreach rather than the ETX-90 Carole currently brings to Outreach (on her own NEQ6 mount) as it doesn't have its own tripod. If the ETX-90 had it's own tripod, it would be a more effective scope to loan out to members.

doug

Having looked at the ETX 125 tripod that I have, I believe that the two small bolts on the underside of the top plate will screw into the base of the Meade ETX mounts ..... if that makes sense.

Carole, when you have a mo, phone me and we`ll chat about the tripod.

Doug.

Carole

Being half asleep yesterday, I didn't read the post properly, it's actually a sturdier camera tripod I am looking for that I can put in a suitcase, so having read your post again I don't think it's going to be the right thing Doug.

Sorry about that. 

Carole