• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Hello from Sevenoaks

Started by jpchapman, Feb 13, 2015, 11:07:13

Previous topic - Next topic

jpchapman

Hello everyone, finally found the email about registering after it decided to play hide and seek with me :D
I'm John-Paul from Sevenoaks  I brought a Skymax 127 Maksutov-Cassegrain with goto mount about a year ago, been out with it three or four times and had some great views of Jupiter (which was a jaw dropper), Mars and the Moon, I have no garden so have to go out with it which I've found can be little bit lonely haha, so haven't been out as much as I would like.

I'm starting to get the itch to start viewing again but would really like some company and some experienced help as I would like to view other night sky objects and I feel I'm missing out, so I looked online and with help from Fay and Kenny here I am, I'll hopefully be attending  the next meeting and become a member.

Kenny

Hi John.
You made it onto the forum despite the gremlins. Good to hear from you and hope to meet you soon, either out observing and/or at one of our monthly meetings.
Regards
Kenny

Rick

Hi. Thanks for introducing yourself. You should now be able to post in other parts of the forum.

Carole

Welcome John,

We have monthly observing sessions, and I think some members do some ad hoc viewing evenings in Otford, look out for them on the forum.

Carole

The Thing

Welcome John, you have come to the right place as many of us are keen to get out together and do astronomy, even if it's just looking up at stars from a field :)

MarkH

Welcome aboard John, a few of us locals have been meeting up for observing in the garden of the Rising Sun at Twitton recently you could join us there.

Fay

Hi John, you finally landed!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

jpchapman

Thanks for the warm welcome, hopefully meet a few of you either at the meeting or out observing

doug

It will be nice to meet up and have a chinwag. We have an observing evening this coming Tuesday at the Change of Horses in Farnborough village so try and make it there at about sevenish if you can. Perhaps the weather might be kind... I`ll have a word with Him up there .... :D

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

jpchapman

Thanks Doug, unfortunately I can't make Tuesday as have plans already but will be at the meeting on the 26th, then hopefully I'll be at the next observing evening which if I'm right will be on the 17th of March ??

Roy

Hi John-Paul,

Welcome to the OAS from more Sennockians. Despite being (relatively speaking) in the country the skies around Sevenoaks are the darkest especially near Sainsbury's and Homebase - why do they need to leave their carpark lights on all night?

Roy and Sue

MarkS

Quote from: Roy
Despite being (relatively speaking) in the country the skies around Sevenoaks are the darkest especially near Sainsbury's and Homebase

That must be a typo!  Surely you don't mean the darkest skies are around the supermarkets?

The Thing

Quote from: MarkS on Feb 16, 2015, 18:38:29
Quote from: Roy
Despite being (relatively speaking) in the country the skies around Sevenoaks are the darkest especially near Sainsbury's and Homebase

That must be a typo!  Surely you don't mean the darkest skies are around the supermarkets?
I think tongue firmly in cheek!

jpchapman

Nice meeting a few of you last night