• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter and Io Animation 26-01-2015 23:50 captured at Beckenham

Started by The Thing, Jan 27, 2015, 19:40:35

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Telescope aperture and focal ratio:   Meade LX90 8" UHTC, Moonfish 2" x2 ED Barlow, Moonfish variable extension tube and t-mount adapter, Pierro Astro Astmospheric Dispersion Corrector, (in that order). Unguided HEQ5 (bearings, power socket and belt drive mods).

Camera and filters used:   Phillips SPC900NC, Baader Neodymnium, Revelation UV/IR

Processing applied:   Autostakkert2!, Registax, JASC Annimation Workshop. Colour balanced at capture

Kenny

MarkH

Duncan that is fantastic. Wow !!!! That has given me a kick up the back side to get learning.  Any idea what causes the dip in luminosity in io a few frames in?

MarkS

Fantastic animation!  Good detail and colour.  The red spot and a moon!  Really well done!

The Thing

Quote from: MarkH on Jan 27, 2015, 20:07:52
Any idea what causes the dip in luminosity in io a few frames in?
Thin clouds, also the first couple of frames.

BTW it's composed of 25 frames from 60s captures at 10fps with 1min intervals keeping 40% of the best frames. The animation shows how fast Jupiter is rotating! The elapsed time is around 1h15m. Next step is to master WinJUPOS derotation :}

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

The Thing

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Ivor

Excellent effort, I think we need another imaging session on your planetary workflow before you escape to France permanently!

RobertM

Crikey Duncan, that really is a superb effort and there is just so much detail.  That has to be your best to date.

That ADC is certainly doing the business.

Robert

Carole

QuoteThat has to be your best to date.

I'd agree with that, have you got a stacked "still", there must be more detail than in your previous images.

Glad you said where you took it since you are in two places these days lol.

Carole

doug

Fantastic animation, Duncan. Well done. I only wish ........

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

The Thing

A single image made from the 50% best frames on 60s capture @10fps. There is even colour and possibly features on Io, I didn't think this was possible with my scope.

RobertM

That's about a hundred times better than my best effort :(