• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DSLR to telescope

Started by Kenny, Jan 23, 2015, 21:28:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

I'm looking into what 'fittings' I would need to connect my Canon 450D to a telescope, any telescope, for example 8" Dob, 6" Newt or the OAS Coronado.

I quote from Carole's website:

QuoteYou will also need some means of attaching your DSLR to your telescope.  You will need a T Ring (which fixes to the DSLR) and a T adapter which has a 2" nosepiece to fit into the telescope.  You will get better results if you use a flattener instead of a T adapter, and these are designed for specific telescopes, they flatten the field and the distance from sensor to point of entry to drawtube is vital to getting a nice flat field and nicely shaped stars into all the corners.

I only vaguely understand this, not enough to make a purchase, and don't know whether / why 2" is required rather than 1.25".

Grateful for your words of wisdom.

MarkH

Kenny most scopes have a 2" threaded connection point for accessories which is a standard thread. If you take your slr to somewhere like telescope house they stock "T" mount tubes, just make sure it fits your slr and its all you need.

Carole

Kenny, the DSLR will require a 2" nose piece otherwise you will get a tunnel vision effect.

Carole

Kenny

Thanks. The Dob and Newt support 1.25" and 2" but I don't think the Coronado does.

MarkH

My lx 90 has a 2" connector then an adaptor down to a 1 1/4" diagonal.

Carole

With the Coronado you will have to use a step down adapter if that's the case, not 100% ideal. 

Having said that I tried to image with a DSLR and the society Coronado once and it didn't produce anything except a bright red blob.  You'd be much better using a webcam with the Coronado.  They say a mono camera is actually best for solar, you can re-colorize it afterwards.

Carole

The Thing

Quote from: MarkH on Jan 23, 2015, 22:46:11
My lx 90 has a 2" connector then an adaptor down to a 1 1/4" diagonal.
The thread on the back of an SCT type scope is not 2" filter type thread, it is 24tpi. But it is a 'standard' for the back of small to mid size SCTs so getting adaptors for t-mounts, diagonals and 2" push fittings is easy. It's a bit of a minefield and you end up with a large collection of this-to-that adaptors!
This is informative...
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/archive/index.php/t-70937.html

The Thing

Quote from: Carole on Jan 24, 2015, 09:33:00
With the Coronado you will have to use a step down adapter if that's the case, not 100% ideal. 

Having said that I tried to image with a DSLR and the society Coronado once and it didn't produce anything except a bright red blob.  You'd be much better using a webcam with the Coronado.  They say a mono camera is actually best for solar, you can re-colorize it afterwards.

Carole

I think you need some sort of extension tube to obtain focus with a camera on a Coronado. hence why you only got a red blob.

The Thing

Quote from: Kenny on Jan 23, 2015, 22:39:18
Thanks. The Dob and Newt support 1.25" and 2" but I don't think the Coronado does.
For your DSLR you will need a DSLR to t-thread adaptor and a t-mount to 1.25" or 2" (if both scopes support 2" EPs) adaptor. You probably have a 1.25" to 2" eyepiece adaptor.