• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Camera focus - Bahtinov Mask

Started by Kenny, Jan 22, 2015, 14:55:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

Anyone used one of these before, and particularly with a DSLR (with and without a telescope)?

http://astrojargon.net/MaskGen.aspx

http://www.nightskyimages.co.uk/bahtinov_mask.htm

mickw

Yes, most here.
It creates a distortion that should work with any optics, certainly does with DSLR/scope combo.

Get one  :)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rick

Carole

Yup, use one all the time.  If any-one knows where I can buy one small enough for my DSLR lens I'd love to know, my smallest one (for the 71/72 scope aperture) doesn't work with it.  Meanwhile I've made a Y mask as a stop gap.

Carole

Kenny

The link above generates a template to create your own mask. However, while that seems to be effective for a DSLR / telescope combo, I'm not clear whether it would work solely with a DSLR on it's own (and how I would do it for an 18-200mm lens for example).

The following thread raises even more doubt about that hence interested to know whether anyone has had success with the mask just using a DSLR (not with a telescope).

http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/forum/september-issue-bahtinov-mask-camera-lens-combination-t100593.html

Mike

Sometimes people use a cotton thread made into a cross in front of a lens to produce diffraction spikes. When out of focus there are two spikes when in focus only one.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Kenny

Quote from: Mike on Jan 22, 2015, 18:52:09
Sometimes people use a cotton thread made into a cross in front of a lens to produce diffraction spikes. When out of focus there are two spikes when in focus only one.

I'm definitely going to give that a go...

The Thing

I cut a Bahtinov mask out of a piece of black plastic to fit in a Cokin P square filter holder. The number of slots and angles are just what I could fit in the space and cut reasonably easily and accurately. Works a treat.

MarkS

Cotton diffraction spikes won't be accurate enough and don't bother with Bhatinov masks unless you can analyse the diffraction pattern via computer using e.g. Bhatinov grabber.  But even then you only achieve focus in the centre - remember you want to get good focus both in the centre and at the corners of the image

Using a scale and taking a series of test exposures (or getting the stars to trail during one long exposure whilst you adjust the focus) is easily the most accurate method by a huge margin.

Have as few marks on the scale as possible and make them easy to see in the dark and always turn the focusing ring in the same direction (hence the arrow) to overcome backlash.

If you take a series of test images, zoom right in and (on the Canon) use the knurled knob to inspect the sequence of shots at high magnification to determine the best.  Inspect both the centre and the corners to determine the best compromise setting between them

Mark

Kenny

Thanks Mark. If I change the zoom i.e. from 18mm to anywhere up to 200mm on my lens, will the same focus point work or is a refocus required?

MarkS

Assume you need to refocus - not many lenses will zoom and retain focus.