• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

C/2014 Q2 Lovejoy Animation 52 frames over 5 hours

Started by The Thing, Jan 19, 2015, 16:30:31

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Image date, time and location:   2015-01-19 1:30 50560 Manche France
Telescope aperture and focal ratio:   Nikon ED 70-300mm @ 300mm F5.6
Camera and filters used:   Canon 1000D Modded, IDAS LPS-D1
Processing applied:   Deep Sky Stacker, JASC Animation Shop
Mount: SkyWatcher StarAdventurer on Manfrotto Carbone 1 Tripod, bungeed to a 120ah battery

Same 300s subs, 5 hours in total.

Whitters

MarkS

Very good animation Duncan!

I like the moving star field - was that deliberate?

Mark

The Thing

Quote from: MarkS on Jan 19, 2015, 19:15:16
Very good animation Duncan!

I like the moving star field - was that deliberate?

Mark
Thanks Mark.

Moving stars- no it's bad polar alignment. But the stars are in good shape on the subs so maybe not. I wasn't guiding.

MarkH

Kenny

The Thing

Thanks all.

Kenny, this is easy to do, lots of regularly spaced JPGs with a 200-300mm lens. You do need a tracking mount (EQ5 will do well) but no guiding. No stacking or processing. JASC Animation Shop (PaintShopPro company) is easy and free. StarAdventurers' are not too expensive or I wouldn't have one :). Comets can be big and bright.

RobertM

Kenny

Quote from: The Thing on Jan 19, 2015, 21:36:03
Kenny, this is easy to do, lots of regularly spaced JPGs with a 200-300mm lens. You do need a tracking mount (EQ5 will do well) but no guiding. No stacking or processing. JASC Animation Shop (PaintShopPro company) is easy and free. StarAdventurers' are not too expensive or I wouldn't have one :). Comets can be big and bright.

Thanks. I haven't tried my camera on the HEQ5 yet, wanted to build my other skills/experience first, but that is one of the things next of my list. Would need to be from my light-pollutioned back garden though. I'm not lugging the HEQ5 into the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. ;)

julian

Mac

The Thing

Quote from: Mac on Jan 20, 2015, 14:17:29
Thats moving at a fair lick.

Mac.
Yes it is. And I've now learnt I should stack not more than 1 hour of subs at a time as over 5 hours detail will be quite smeared due to the movement over the exposures.

From Cartes du Ciel:

Comet
C/2014 Q2 (Lovejoy)
Magnitude: 5.1
Phase: 45 °
Distance: 0.5649au
Solar distance: 1.2996au
Velocity: 36.9km/s
Estimated tail length: 0.09au
Date: 2015-01-19 20h39m15s
ref: 13/2015-01-04
Hourly motion: 05'10.2" PA:327° dRA:-12.36s dDec:04'19.7"

Fay

thats very good Duncan, only just seen it!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Ivor

Tony G

Well done Duncan. Excellent animation.  ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

The Thing

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan