• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Google Chrome is very slow

Started by Carole, Jan 18, 2015, 11:46:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Doesn't explain though why it works nice and fast some days and other days it almost grinds to a halt.

Carole

Mike

You're running a modern piece of software on technology that's around 10 years old now. Pentium processors have been replaced with many iterations of processor design since and the latest version of Chrome is optimised for those kinds of processors. You've also got only 2 processors and 2Gb of Ram.

Your internet browser is typically the most memory and processor intensive piece of software you use regularly nowadays. Right now my Chrome is taking up around 1Gb of Ram. On my machine with 32Gb of ram that is negligible. On yours with only 2Gb that is using up 50% of your entire Ram, leaving not a lot for your OS and other background applications. So it will inevitably start to grind to a halt at times.

I would suggest you do what Mac said and delete Chrome then install a much older version and see if that is any better. Another option is to increase your Ram to the maximum your Mb will take, especially as Ram is so cheap now. Crucial has a tool on their website that will scan your PC and tell you how much ram you can install and the price.

Either that or it's time to upgrade to a modern PC.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan