• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Google Chrome is very slow

Started by Carole, Jan 18, 2015, 11:46:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

QuoteMy chrome has actually given up the ghost now. 
So what is it with chrome, when it works it has some excellent features.

Carole

Klitos

A few things you could do to try to fix performance issues in Chrome:

1. Right-click on the "New Tab" tab (that's the right-most tab along the top of the Chrome window) and select "Task Manager". This will show you what extensions are running and how much memory each of them is using. If you suspect a culprit that's taking up too much memory, you can disable it.

2. The Task Manager mentioned above also shows the memory taken by each page (tab). Some web pages contain very large images, even if they appear "normal"-sized. Some people put their 20-megapixel images directly on their web pages and get their HTML code to scale it down to a reasonable size. But that means the browser still has to download these huge images and allocate large amounts of memory for them, even if they appear small on the page.

3. If you are technically minded, you can paste the special URL chrome://profiler/ into the address bar. Figuring out how to interpret the results is left as an exercise for the reader.

4. Some web pages contain Javascript code which allows the page to be interactive, but sometimes this Javascript is badly written and consumes too many resources (such as memory and CPU). There's not much you can do about that, except close the tab.

5. Some web pages contain lots of adverts which use up too many resources; in particular, the Adobe Flash video adverts are notorious for this. If you find this is a problem, you can disable Adobe Flash (from Settings -> Extensions) or you can use the ad-blocking software AdBlockPlus. (I reluctantly installed this myself recently. I don't like to deprive web authors of well-earned advertising income, but when they clutter the page with so many adverts that they deprive me of my time, CPU, memory and electricity, then my use of AdBlockPlus is their just desert.)

Mac

another way is to uninstall google chrome, then
delete all the chrome folders.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome
C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome
C:\Users\YOURNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome

and reinstall an old version.
Anything from six months ago should be fine, but dont forget to turn off auto updates.
http://www.filehippo.com/download_google_chrome/history

Mac.

RobertM

Thanks Mac, will give that a go.

Carole

Back to Firefox again, chrome is pants today.

Carole

Mike

Carole,

Is your PC 32 or 64 bit?

Are you running the appropriate 32 or 64 bit version of Chrome?

Mike
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Thanks Mike
Been without Chrome for ages after a W7 update killed it.

I never gave 32/64 bit versions of Chrome a thought - It obviously does make a difference.

Just installed 64 bit version and am now up and running again

:beer:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rick

You'd think the installer might actually check, or failing that, the program itself might perform some basic checks...

mickw

Quote from: Rick on Jan 23, 2015, 15:09:52
You'd think the installer might actually check, or failing that, the program itself might perform some basic checks...

And nothing this simple mentioned in the Chrome forum/newsgroup either

RobertM

Now that is bizarre.  It was working then decided not to, I've just installed the 64 bit version and now it works again ! 

Either it was installed as 32bit then something stopped it working or it was 64bit and something updated it to 32bit (unlikely I would have thought)  :alien: at work :o

Carole

32bit.

So might it be worth re-installing Chrome and making sure it's a 32bit version.

Been using this for a year and no trouble until recently.

Carole

mickw

I have no idea what version of Chrome (32 or 64) was originally installed but it was a W7 update that stopped it.
Mac mentioned somewhere that bad coding could mess up the cross system working if using 64 bit system and 32 bit software.

Carole it depends whether your system is 32 or 64 bit

Mike

Carole are you sure you have a 32 bit PC? If so it must be VERY old. Which is likely also contributing to your woes.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

QuoteCarole are you sure you have a 32 bit PC? If so it must be VERY old.
It's a windows 7 that I bought a year ago as a refurbished desktop.  It's 100 times better than what i was using before though. 

Mike

Pentium! Good grief. No wonder.