• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Google Chrome is very slow

Started by Carole, Jan 18, 2015, 11:46:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Been having a lot of problems with my PC lately which almost grinds to a halt sometimes and freezes for a while.  I looked in Task Manager and it seems that Google Chrome is using loads of memory.

I am now on Firefox, (but I do like the features of Chrome better), it's working perfectly fine on Firefox. 

Any thoughts?

Carole

RobertM

It's not really any help but I've found that too recently but I'm wondering if there is some bloatware in there somewhere.  IE seems ok as does Chrome on the slower Obs Laptop.  Might have to reinstall it so you could try that too.

Robert

Carole

Thanks Robert, that does help, as it tells me it's not just me.

Might try a re-install as you suggest.

From time to time Chrome works perfectly well. 

Carole

Mike

Check your extensions and disable anything you don't use or need.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

What do you mean by extensions Mike? 

Also I'd like to disable some of the start up programs but can;t find out where to do it. both on windows 7 and on my laptop windows vista if any-one can help.

Carole

Mike

Quote from: Carole on Jan 18, 2015, 13:20:06
What do you mean by extensions Mike? 

Top right, icon like 3 bars. Click it, go down to SETTINGS. Then click EXTENSIONS on the left. Look for anything you didn't install or don't use and disable it.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Gotcha
No nothing I didn't install.  Not much on there. 

Thanks

Carole

mickw

A W7 "update" killed Chrome on my laptop a couple of months ago so have you recently had an update ?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

Quotehave you recently had an update ?
I don't think so, it told me this morning it will do one when I shut down next time.  Not sure how often they update.

Really don't want to be without chrome I like the way all your favourites get saved to different computers and it easy to save and access favourites, that's the primary thing I don't like about firefox. 

Also my website is a google website and I can only update it from Chrome, plus I use Chrome+, so it would be a real pain if I lost it altogether.

Carole

Carole

QuoteA W7 "update" killed Chrome on my laptop a couple of months ago
Are you still not able to use it Mick?

Carole

mickw

Quote from: Carole on Jan 18, 2015, 23:03:10
QuoteA W7 "update" killed Chrome on my laptop a couple of months ago
Are you still not able to use it Mick?

Carole

No - Getting tempted to delete W7 and install XP
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

Working perfectly fine today, good speed and have not changed anything.

What is the logic in this?

Could it be there is some sort of "script running" (whatever that is) when it's on the "go slow"?

Could some-one kindly explain what that means, sometimes I get a box coming up telling me that is happening, particularly in Hotmail, but not necessarily when I get chrome problems.

Carole

Mac

Nothing wrong with chrome, i bet my bottom dollar its a 32/64 bit issue with your operating system.

Download the following program and install it.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

Run it and you will get a something similar to this.

Showing you what processes are running and as you can see the CPU is at 85% idle, if you look at this i have quite a few chrome tags open and they take up a lot of memory
and yes chrome and the pc is running very slow, but you can see that the cpu is not being used.

If you look at the top of the first image you will see a program called conhost.exe, it is this program that is slowing down your PC, even though it shows that it is using 0% of the CPU
the conhost.exe program is an interface between the 32 & 64 bit operating systems, called by a program that was too laze you be recoded to make use of the 64 bist system, its a cheat which causes major slow down problems..

IT IS THIS PROGRAM that is them main culprit for windows and everything else running slowly.
If you kill this task, windows will resume full speed.

The culprit for mine is actually Itunes and this opens between 1 and 4 of these,
And they are not closed down when itunes exits either.

I have no problem with chrome running with 20-40 tabs open.
Mac

Carole

I've done that Mac, this is what I got, I can't see that
Quoteconhost.exe
file anywhere, but you might be able to see if there is anything else.

Thanks

Carole

RobertM

My chrome has actually given up the ghost now.  It opens but all I get is a "Page(s) Unresponsive" message, not even the settings will load now :(  I even tried reinstalling.

The error message isn't much use either:

Faulting application name: chrome.exe, version: 39.0.2171.99, time stamp: 0x54aef409
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x719b0000
Faulting process ID: 0x67c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d035c96345a4fd
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report ID: a1010d63-a1bc-11e4-bec2-4c72b93219a1
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Will take a further look at this tomorrow.

Robert