• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Re: First attempt at starfields - Orion & Lovejoy

Started by Canadian Roger, Jan 04, 2015, 06:58:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian Roger

In the middle, down near the horizon, to the left of the blue letters I added (and not particularly well)...is that Comet Lovejoy? 

It's been very cloudy here, and the only clear nights we've had in the last three weeks are when I;ve been working.

Could someone who's possibly seen this comet confirm, please?

MarkH

It's much closer to Rigel at the moment Roger about the same distance away from the belt in the opposite direction, so it depends when the exposure was taken.

MarkS

Hi Roger,

As MarkH said, timing is everything.  When did you take the image?  If it was taken on the evening of 28th Dec then it is quite possibly the comet and worth doing a more detailed check.  If it was taken on any other date then it is definitely not the comet because it noticeably shifts position every day.

Mark

MarkH

From my star charts there is a double star mag 5 ish exactly at that point, however, love joy might have overplayed it. It really depends when the image was exposed.

MarkH

Roger I think you have captured love joy but not where you originally thought. It may need confirmation by someone with a bit more expertees than me but I think in your image it is sitting just below eridanus 64.

Canadian Roger

Sorry. should have been a bit more specific...that picture is not mine, but Kenny's.  I went and had a look at his original, adjusting it slightly to darken the sky to see if the comet was visible. 

MarkH

Ooo my that's interesting, if that's the case then as MarkS says then its in about the right position. .......which means that Kenny may have captured some info on an unknown object. Can others check on that object just below eridanus 64.  :-?

MarkS

Yes, Kenny caught the comet!!

Kenny's image was taken on the evening  of 27th Dec and shows a green blob in the precise position that my planetarium software says it should be (not where Roger indicated).

Mark

MarkH

MarkH

Sorry to speed up the search eridanus 64 is just below galaxy 1723.

Kenny

Wow. Just checked Mobile Observatory. I agree. That's where Lovejoy was. I think the next object up/right could be M79.

:cheesy:

MarkH

Yes but check out the other object Kenny you may have made a new discovery.

Kenny

Quote from: MarkH on Jan 04, 2015, 15:25:25
Yes but check out the other object Kenny you may have made a new discovery.

Mark - Which object below Eri 64 are you referring to? Cross-checking with Stellarium and all appears to map to other stars.

MarkH

About 1° left and 3° below eri 64 to the right of and about level with Lepus u.

Kenny

Quote from: MarkH on Jan 04, 2015, 16:18:44
About 1° left and 3° below eri 64 to the right of and about level with Lepus u.

If you mean the orange 'star', I think that is HIP 23203 though at Mag 8.05 it is brighter on this image than it should be.