• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Bok's globules processing touch up

Started by Carole, Jan 08, 2015, 22:02:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

This is not a re-process it's a tweak of the processing previously done.  I know some of you don't like re-processes, if so you don't need to read on.  But as Mike and I discussed it can be useful to beginners to see what can be done and how an image can change with different processing techniques. 

Not done any imaging since I went to camp in October.  Been busy with various things, was ill for a few weeks and then just couldn't motivate myself.  Finally went out into the observatory this evening to set up and found all my kit still in the boxes where I had dumped them after coming back from camp. 

Anyway by the time I had half set up of course it had clouded over.

So to keep myself in the mood I decided to tweak a previous image after seeing an image elsewhere with a nicer colour. 

This is the original:
It's part of my Rosette image done in narrowband early in 2014. 

This is the revision.

Carole

MarkS

That's a huge difference!  All the colours make obvious contributions now.

Mark

Carole

Thanks Mark, yes I was pleased with the difference.  I was inspired by looking at one of Sara's images (Swag72) to have a go at changing the colour and also did a bit of sharpening of the globules while I was at it. 

Carole

JohnP

Carole does look better but at expense of pinker stars...especially around the edges which is a shame as for me personally detracts  a great image.

John.

Carole

Quotebut at expense of pinker stars
Yes, I noticed that after I posted it, I'll see if I can do anything about it.

Carole

Carole

Kenny

They're both great images but the reprocess is definitely much nicer.

Carole

Mike

Still those pink stars but the reprocess has far better definition and contrast and is a big improvement.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Thanks Mike,
QuoteStill those pink stars
Less pink than they were, I thought it looked a bit too washed out when I whitened the stars still further.

Carole