• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Star Trails Friday 19 Dec

Started by MarkS, Dec 21, 2014, 09:47:06

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

I took this on Friday night.  Canon 600D with lens set at 18mm.  One hour of data in 30 two minute exposures with just a single aircraft trail  :)

Larger version here:  http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2014/startrails20141219.jpg

You can see stars from the south reflected in the windows.  The trees are blurry because of the breeze.

Mark

Fay

Really a good trail Mark!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

Really nice. I love all the different star colours.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Mike

The weird reflections in the windows are great too.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Yep agree full size is great, love star colours and windows reflections are cool as well...

Kenny

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Fay
so was it on the mount?

No - on a static tripod.

Quote from: Mike
The weird reflections in the windows are great too.

I'm trying to get my head around the fact that star paths actually cross over in the reflections.  How does that work?

Mark

JohnP

Yes weird the way they look sinusoidal....

Fay

never heard of that word John

MarkS

Quote from: JohnP
Yes weird the way they look sinusoidal....

I know the glass is not flat - they are double glazed sealed units and are concave.  So that will have something to do with it ...

The Thing

Really nice Mark. Did you use StarTrails to put the subs together?

Wiggles - the double glazing must be flatter glass on the RHS window then as those reflections are almost 'correct'!

MarkS

Quote from: The Thing
Really nice Mark. Did you use StarTrails to put the subs together?

No - Startrails and StarStaX both produce 8 bit images but I wanted to keep it 16 bit to perform final tweaking to get good star colour.  So I used Iris of course!  Addmax2 is the command.

Photoshop would also do it if you blend them in "lighten" mode.

Mark