• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Neighbours Intruder Lights

Started by MarkS, Dec 03, 2014, 06:09:53

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Just as Carole alluded to in a post on another thread (http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=10014.msg72382#msg72382) two local properties have recently installed intruder lights - presumably with the kind intention of lighting up burglars' entry to their property.  One is the animal sanctuary the other side of the A28 and the other is a farm 500m directly south.  Both have intruder lights that are on most of the time and shine through my bedroom windows (from different directions) and are sufficient to read by.  So I'm now on the warpath.

I'll begin by politely explaining this to them and ask them to adjust the lights.  Failing that, let's see if Ashford's Supplementary Planning Document on external lighting actually has any teeth.

I think I've only recently noticed them because the leaves have dropped from the trees that previously provided some shielding.

Mark

Rick

I'm sure you've also taken a look at the Campaign for Dark Skies website. Note, particularly, this stuff: http://www.britastro.org/dark-skies/law.html

(I'm moving this up into the Astronomy section where ther rest of the light pollution action threads are...)

Fay

I noticed the bright glow in the north, Mark
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

QuoteI noticed the bright glow in the north, Mark

Thats probably Ashford  ;)

Fay

well I noticed they were not on all the time, but when they were it was quite a lot

The Thing

Probably why the geese at the sanctuary couldn't sleep, too bright for them!

Tony G

Mark,

You can try one of these......they are similar to a light switch, you put slight pressure on the trigger and the light goes out....Simples.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

The Thing

Quote from: Tony G on Dec 04, 2014, 22:38:08
Mark,

You can try one of these......they are similar to a light switch, you put slight pressure on the trigger and the light goes out....Simples.

Tony G

Works for the geese as well:) Now what's for Christmas lunch?