• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Star Party

Started by MarkH, Oct 27, 2014, 17:58:06

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkH

This is an open invitation to a star party on Saturday 22 November from 7.00pm onwards, at The Rising Sun, Twitton TN14 5JR ( in close proximity to Pluto in the Otford solar system) . There is a large garden so plenty of room for scopes and a barbecue is planned. The light pollution is not too bad and of course the event is subject to the weather.

Carole

Thanks for the invite.  What form is this to take?  Sounds like it is in the grounds of a pub, in which case there will be a closing time, and expectations for us to clear up pretty sharpish, not always so easy with Astro kit.

Carole

MarkH

Yes Carole it is in the pub garden but they are pretty flexible and the neighborsare minimal so as long as we keep the noise down we should be able to go on late.

Carole

Is the idea to let the public see through a telescope, or to give us an opportunity to do some astronomy in a slightly darker location?

I have something on in the afternoon, so depends how tired I am afterwards and of course the weather forecast. 

Carole

Mike

22nd November is the Deep Sky Camp weekend.

MEETING DATES 2014/15
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkH

Doh cheers for the head up Mike, I'd missed that one. In answer to your question Carole it was intended to do some of both.

Carole

Because of my afternoon engagement I won't be able to go to DSC - bummer - so I'll see how things go.

Carole

MarkH

Resceduled ....... so the weather forecast for tomorrow night is looking excellent so we've rescheduled for tomorrow night ( Saturday 29 th) . All are welcome so if you're are a loose end feel free to come along. A few burgers and beers should be a good evening.

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkH

Sorry Mike the link didn't work for me, have I fouled up again?

MarkS

Quote from: MarkH
Sorry Mike the link didn't work for me, have I fouled up again?

I think you can't see the "Behind the Scenes" section because you have "non-OAS" status within the forum.  I had organised something tonight at my place in High Halden to do some imaging - potentially all-night.  You would be most welcome to join us.  Send me a Message for more details if interested.

Mark

Rick

Quote from: MarkS on Nov 29, 2014, 08:49:47I think you can't see the "Behind the Scenes" section because you have "non-OAS" status within the forum.
Correct. ;)

See also http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=1570.msg7918#msg7918

MarkH

Ahhh yep that's it Mark, sorry to have stepped on your toes, hope you all have a good night of it.